GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It will work without overloading because the actual power in such a setup is coming through the switch, which if done properly is an independent circuit wired to the battery. If you wire your switch properly with a fuse, even if something goes wrong, you will only blow the fuse on your independent fog light circuit. All the relay does in this setup is ensure that the lights can only run while the low beam healights are on. To ensure you don't blow out the relay, it needs to be a continuous duty relay designed for such uses.

If you want even more assurance, you could use a double-relay setup. This would use the above-mentioned relay, and then a second where the coil is energized by the first one's output. The power in on the second would come from a fused connection from the battery, and the output would go to the lights. This way, it is a direct circuit between the battery and lights, without the full draw of the lights running through the fuse.

Another safe way (and what I did) is to buy an aftermarket fog light kit. I have had no problems with it. The connectors could be altered to wire to factory lights instead of the aftermarket ones and the relay installed inline. Everything else you need is already in one of these kits.

While a lack of factory kits can make it difficult, and not wanting to mess with wiring is understandable, if you are persistent and careful, it can be made to work safely and legally.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Thats all greek to me. I can smell the wires burnin' and see smoke and I haven't even touched the truck yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hunky View Post
    Thats all greek to me. I can smell the wires burnin' and see smoke and I haven't even touched the truck yet.

If you ever feel so inclined, feel free to ask for help... I can even make you pictures. I learned the basics of wiring (all you need for fog lights) from doing stuff myself. Before my fog lights, all I did was intsall a new stereo (and thats just matching wire colors). Now, im looking at more advanced things - ive put in an amp, led lights in my whole dash, auto-dimming mirror, overhead console, etc. You learn it over time - you just have to take a chance. My next project will be a switch and relay to use the radio without the key in and without backfeeding the factory accessory power with the switched power. This should be an easy thing also, as long as you are comfortable doing it. After that, I will be installing LED accent lights throughout the interior and exterior. Once you take the leap and start one projeect, you will start to be comfortable with wiring.

if your 06 is anything like mine, than it should already be prewired. All i did to put mine in was get the kit from GM, put in the new factory switch, install the new valance, mount the lights to the bumper and plug in the lights. They came right on.
    Jake
    2006 Silverado 5.3L Flex Fuel
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Quadzilla Stealth 2 Race Tune

I have been chasing the fog light thing for a long time now,hears what I have been told by 5 local chevy dealers. 1. Very few trucks that came without fogs have the harness/computer to let you add them(less than 10%) 2. GMC makes a kit up thru the '07 classic,Chevy has no kit after 2005. They tell me you can't use the GMC kit and just substitute the Chevy lights. 3. If you find an after market kit you can't use it because it can't be wired thru your computer to shut the lights off when high beams come on, this is not legal and the truck will not pass state inspection. 4. Some trucks that have the harness don't have the compatible computer so truck can't be reprogramed. If you find a way,please let me know!!
    i dont like having lights being controlled through the computer, it should be just like installing aftermarket lights like the piaa brand, except you have to do your own wiring
    So this can be done without overloading anything? I have to admit I'm a real chickin s**t when it comes to messin' with the electrics on these new vehicles( put LED's in my kids Impala and the cruise control quit working WTF) Hope this works but I think I'll let 'ol 5speed try it first LOL. Let me know.
    lol why me? i might end up doing it with the drl lights first, and just buy a new socket for the bulbs, and take the old wireing and put a ballon around it and ziptie it out of the way, and run new wireing to it.

pmf, thanks for clearing it up for me, you have been alot of help, im still waiting for a pic of factory fogs, but i did climb under my truck today and took a picture, it does look like the mount is their, but idk if this is it or not

I could be wrong (its been a while since i did my fogs) but I think that is the mount. I thought about switching the lights in mine from the aftermarkets to the stock housings, but I am happy with mine. They (surprisingly) look like they belong, and in the center spot, I directly mounted them to the frame, so I think they are more sturdy than the mounts on the stock headlights, but the stock ones would look more integrated and fill the space better.

Hey 5speed. I crawled under my 06 Slverado. Couldn't get a good picture with my cell phone camera. The upper support in your picture has 2 holes. The body of the fog light bolts in those. The rest of it is stabilized by sitting in the hole. Look up above that and you should see an octopus cable. Runs all across the front of the truck. There should be an extra cable taped up or tucked in. It has a black head with blue insert. It's a 2 wire connector. Typical snap lock style. That powers the fog lights.
    2006 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L, Z71, Extended Cab. Tow Mule.
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06, 5.7L, Slightly Modded. Tow Payload.
    2005 Craftsman Riding Mower, 17hp, light mods.

Quote Originally Posted by vms4evr View Post
    Hey 5speed. I crawled under my 06 Slverado. Couldn't get a good picture with my cell phone camera. The upper support in your picture has 2 holes. The body of the fog light bolts in those. The rest of it is stabilized by sitting in the hole. Look up above that and you should see an octopus cable. Runs all across the front of the truck. There should be an extra cable taped up or tucked in. It has a black head with blue insert. It's a 2 wire connector. Typical snap lock style. That powers the fog lights.
    cool, thanks for that

Sr. Apprentice

Ok Guys, here's what I did , I have an 06 silverado w/t...plain Jane yes...I bought the "o.e.m." kit off ebay came with both lights wiring harness already loomed ,relay and new switch for dash...it was pretty easy to install and looks like it came from factory. they work perfect..sooo, whoever told couldnt be done is totally wrong!! anything is possible...good luck..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12