GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Acc. Key Position

I don't seem to have a key position for accessories. I have to turn the key to on to get any power to anything without starting the engine. Was that an option on '89 models? Can it be remedied? Checked with original owners and and they said it came that way. I have all original paperwork, manuals,window sheet and option list and see nothing to explain this. I rebuilt the column in May and saw no broken parts or obstructions; it is the original key and tumbler set.

Did you try turning the key backwards? I think it goes Acc, Lock, off, on, start. GM has been that way since at least 74, and I think my 95 and 97 turn backwards for Acc. The 2002 trailblazer went lock, off, acc, on, start. You might have to jiggle the wheel a bit.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Turning it backwards was the very 1st thing I tried and it won't go past lock in that direction; tried jiggling the lock and wheel indiidually and in unison and no joy.

Do you have the owner's manual? Might see if it says in there.

Also look on the key switch. I've seen many which say ACC ON START on the key switch.

If it does have an ACC and it is not working, there would probably be a problem with the ignition switch. To be sure, you would need a factory wiring diagram and test with a multimeter.

If it does not have an ACC position, an auto electric shop should be able to rig a separate switch up for you.
    92 GMC Sierra 2500

It seems like there are a lot of Chevy trucks that the ACC position doesn't work on anymore. What I mean by that, is that the key will no longer turn backwards to get to the ACC position. The only fix I have found is to replace the ignition lock cylinder. Not a very hard process, in fact, not 3 hours ago I swapped out the ignition cylinder in my Suburban in about 30 mins because my keys were worn with no good key to make a new one off of. As a bonus, when I changed the lock out, I got the ACC position back! If you want, I can write up the process to get the ignition cylinder changed out. The new ingition lock cost me $13.99 at the local Autozone (part number LC14300 for the black one, but there is a chrome version for like $2 more). The only tricky/pain in the rear part of the process is getting the lock ring off and back on. Good luck!
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Thanks Crawdaddy, I appreciate the offer to detail the R&R on the lock cylinder but since I just rebuilt the column in May that procedure is one I'll remember for a while. Your suggestion to replace the lock cylinder will be done as soon as I get back home from my road trip. The good thing is that I've already purchased the tools for the last column adventure. I have all the original paperwork and manuals provided from the factory and some aftermarket stuff also.
    BTW, here's a link to an excellent article on Saginaw column repair I used to fix the wobble in mine:

Tilt Steering Column Loose by George Nenadovich http:www.buickperformance.com/tiltsteeringcolumnwobble.htm
    This gentleman provides cutaways, pictures and his style makes you confident in your ability to complete the task.

I was fiddling with my 97 key tonight. I had to push the key INWARDS while turning backwards, and wiggle the wheel.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Thanks, no luck with that either.

My '94 wouldn't go int ACC either until I changed out the cylinder.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

i had the same problem when i first bought my yukon everyone told me the cylinder but it was the key itself sometimes the little teeth on it get worn down and it casued problems for me i couldnt turn the key back to get my radio on and stuff . i went to dealership got a key remade for 4 dollars, they remake them just using your vin number, dont get a copy of the key u have now ask for a remake of your original key they use computer to look up your key and remake it foryou. hope that helps good luck.