GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default can someone help me wire an amp and subwoofer please

I just got a Alpine MRP-M-200 amp, and an Alpine Type-S10 as a gift to be put in my truck. And i was wanting to wire it in myself. But here i am, absolutely clueless about anything with wiring for stereos, ive been told you can set off your airbag if not done correctly, true?. I need a Wiring For Dummy's. If possible. Pictures help me alot.

Thanks!

PS
    I need to know everything. As in how to take out deck, what wire goes where, what each wire will do ect.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Legend

First off what are you running for head unit, aftermarket or stock?

Or just email me at vncj96@yahoo.com and I can give you every detail.

Just a few other things, do you currently have any amps in the truck, do you ever plan on adding any ampw to the truck after this one. Where do you plan on having the sub in your truck?
    Last edited by vncj96; 08-04-2009 at 05:02 AM.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    First off what are you running for head unit, aftermarket or stock?
    Wow fast reply, it's stock deck.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat

Legend

Also what side of the truck do you plan on having the sub driver or passanger, just email me the answers to my questions and I can get you set up, with what you will need andhow to do it
    285/75/16

the best advise i can give you is: take it somewhere and have them do it.

amp and sub installs are pretty basic, HOWEVER, if you have no prior experence, you coud really mess somethnig up and spend a heck of a lot more money trying to fix it.

thats just my advice, for what its worth....

GOOD LUCK!!

Cody- Tulsa, OK
    '04 silverado

I agree with previous poster. If you're not familiar with 12 volt concepts, or subwoofer box construction, you should probably have it installed by a local shop. Here's why:

#1 - You need some kind of line level output to get bass signals to the amp. You stated your running the stock head unit. That means an additional piece to wire into the stock wiring, or replace the head unit with an aftermarket deck, with pre-outs

#2 - Because of number one above, you'll need to run RCA cables either under your carpet or down the door jambs from the head unit to the amp.

#3 - The amp needs to be fed juice directly from the battery. This means running a primary lead to the amp, from the battery, thru the firewall. In addition, you'll need to run a remote turn on wire from your head unit to the amp.

#4 - The amp needs to be grounded properly to the body or frame. If it is not, you will introduce performance and noise issues into the system.

#5 - Your subwoofer needs to have a properly built box that matches the intended use and design of the Alpine sub. This means specific airspace requirements. It will need to be constructed with MDF

Not totally trying to discourage you, but you do have to have a small level of 12 volt knowledge to get things going. And in your case, it might be better going to shop. On the same token, not everyone can handle changing their own starter or water pump and they too also have to go to a shop when their capabilities are reached.

HOWEVER, if you are really interested in learning, and want to take your time, visit www.the12volt.com and start reading. Read until you think you know enough, then read some more before you start to put all of that together for your truck. As for the airbag thing... there shouldn't be any danger what so ever if you understand what you are doing ahead of time.

Good Luck!

-_Joe

Last edited by ippielb; 08-04-2009 at 03:02 PM.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb

Well if your sub is already in a box, then the easiest part of your battle is over with. You still have to accomplish attaching a line level output module to your factory radio, an amp turn on leade from the radio to amp, fused primary wire from battery to amp, etc etc.

visit The12Volt.com and start reading!

Legend

Be checking you inbox on GMTRUCKCLUB, I got everything you need but my email isnt working at work to get abck to you, so i will give you what you need that way. I gave you alot of info to start out with so if any questions please give me a shout!!
    Last edited by vncj96; 08-04-2009 at 08:59 PM.
    285/75/16