GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 4x6 Speakers

Hybrid View

Default 4x6 Speakers

Hello everyone! My dad gave me his old 1993 Chevy Z-71 Extended Cab & the rear speakers are no good. I think they are 4x6's. I saw some Sony Xplod speakers at Wal-Mart last night for like $30.00 & thought about getting them. It has some Polk speakers in the dash that work well & a old Sony CD player. Would these Sony Xplod's work well for the money? Whayt is all involved when replacing those 4x6 speakers?

Thanks!
    -Mike

Jr. Apprentice

I had those in my Jeep wrangler. Not bad . I also had the polks which are awesome. You'll be fine with the Sony's but if it where me I would spend the extra 20 bucks and buy another pair of polks on ebay. You can find 45-60$ brand new . That's what I did. I just replaced my speakers in my 08 silverado with Alpines. Also are you going to run them off a after market or factory strereo?
    Joaquin-Boerne,Texas
    2008 Chevy Siverado LS
    Graystone Metallic
    3 inch lift
    285/70r17 BF A/T Tires
    Moto Metal

Replacing the rear speakers in that truck is a little bit work. I don't want to scare you out if changing them but your going to have to pull all of the rear trim down in order to replace the old factory speakers. Take the center piece off first and be careful because if the truck spent any time in the sun the anchor point for the clips are going to be britle. I've seen people completly remove the factory 4 x 6 and cut the interor panel to put in a 6 x 9 but IMO it looks like crud. I would do like emtJoaquin said and spend a little extra for the polk you won't regret it.
    [/SIGPIC]07 Silverado LS factory 20's, spray in bedliner, in-bed cargo managment system, matching tint on front windows, K&N CAI, and Hypertech Max Engery Tuner and yet even more mods to come.

What model # are the polks? The truck is nothing fancy & I only use it for hauling stuff around. It has a old sony CD player in there that still works so all I really need are some speakers for the rear.

Sr. Apprentice

well if its just a haulin truck...use the sony's..I just dont like sony products. They are kind of cheap imo..I have jl audio speakers in all 4 corners and they sound awesome..but if it is a budget thing and you dont care just get the sonys..cant go wrong with 30 buck walmart specials..lol..
    2000 chevy silverado 1500 LS Longbed Regular cab

Well I can't say anything about the 4x6's, but I have a set of the 6X9 Xplode 4-ways, and even just running off the head unit they get f#@kin' LOUD! And they're pretty dang clear too! If you're just using the truck for hauling and stuff like that I would think the Sony 4X6's would do the job just fine.
    Current truck: 1996 Ford 250, 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Dana 60 SAS, stage 1 160cc injectors, T500 High Pressure Oil Pump, TS 6-position chip, full 4" exhaust, intake, 285 Falken Rocky Mountain AT's, boost/EGT/trans temp pillar gauges, etc...

i had the sonys in my 1999 and they sounded dam good but i had sonys all the way around amp radio speakers subs were one memphis pr and an mtx 4500 powered off a sony 600 watt amp and it was the lodest at that time in my town