GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 K2500 View Post
    When I start off, it shifts into 2nd at less than 10 mph. If I start from a dead stop,and I put it in 1st it slips sometimes but I can shift through the gears. However if I do the downshifting, i seems like it won't go into 1st. I keep thinking that since it has been sitting for 9 years, that a valve may be stuck or something is clogged. I did change the fluid and filter before I ever moved it. I really don't have the money to take it to a shop. If I take the pan off, is there something I can take off and clean it to try to help? Oh yeah, I took the gov out and it looked great. Like I said, it was rebuilt not long before it was parked. Something in my gut tells me it has to do with it sitting for so long.
    If you shorten the adjustment and it has to effect on the shift timing it probably has a sticking valve in the valve body. Pull the pan and see how much metal is in there. When you say the governor looked good what does that mean? Was the valve free? It should fall up and down with the weights held inboard. A stuck governor valve can cause your problem.Also..... The overall length of the TV cable has nothing to do with the operation of the cable. They all work the same way.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

I think the cable inside the black outer casing is too short. When I adjust the cable by opening the throttle, the slider comes out of the clip. Its hard to describe. The part that will slide back and forth with the notches is what's coming out. Is a stuck valve body hard to fix? Thanks Jim for sticking with me while I try to fix this!

I think the cable inside the black outer casing is too short. When I adjust the cable by opening the throttle, the slider comes out of the clip. Its hard to describe. The part that will slide back and forth with the notches is what's coming out. Is a stuck valve body hard to fix? Thanks Jim for sticking with me while I try to fix this!
    If the inner cable is too short it will 1., shift too late and hard, and 2.,try to bend the bracket at full throttle. If the cable is too short and it's still shifting early you have other internal problems. See how much metal is in the pan. If its clean you may clean the valve body. If its loaded with metal you will waste you time trying to clean it cause it wont stay clean for long.

I have searched and searched the net and tried to find out what to do. I feel like it a combo of two things: sitting so long and the incorrect TV cable. Problem with the cable is the only place I can get one is Advance auto and they are the ones that gave me the one that seems too long. The GM dealer don't even have one. I'm gonna try a junk yard today and see how that goes. I wished I knew more about troubleshooting transmissions (or had more money!!)
    You CAN'T get one from the dealer? That was the ONLY place I could get one......
    Joseph

Airforce Veteran (7 years)

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joeairforce View Post
    You CAN'T get one from the dealer? That was the ONLY place I could get one......
    That was one thing that shocked me. But that is wat I was told.

That was one thing that shocked me. But that is wat I was told.
    I think the cable issue is a moot point right now don't you? The wrong cable would give you late shifts and you have early shifts indicating a stuck valve. A new cable would not help you at this time.

So how hard is it to clean the valve body? On a scale of one to ten as far as a mechanic I would say I am a 7. I’m pretty good at taking things apart and putting them back together. My only concern is that I don’t have any special tools and I have never done any transmission work, other than fluid/filter change and took the governor out. Also, I don’t have the money to have anybody else do it so I guess its all on me. If I could see a video of how to do it, I think I would be okay. Any advice? I now yall think I’m and idiot and I’m sure I’m getting on your nerves. But I have a lot of confidence that yall can help me.

So how hard is it to clean the valve body? On a scale of one to ten as far as a mechanic I would say I am a 7. Iím pretty good at taking things apart and putting them back together. My only concern is that I donít have any special tools and I have never done any transmission work, other than fluid/filter change and took the governor out. Also, I donít have the money to have anybody else do it so I guess its all on me. If I could see a video of how to do it, I think I would be okay. Any advice? I now yall think Iím and idiot and Iím sure Iím getting on your nerves. But I have a lot of confidence that yall can help me.
    Only "special tool" needed to work on the valve body is an Inch Pound torque wrench to bolt it back up. Pretty much just a matter of unbolting it, carefully taking everything out of it and cleaning it, and put it all back together the same way it came apart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12