GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default A/C not keeping up with outside Temp

I have a 1998 blazer having issues keeping up with the out side temp. I had the ac compressor replaced last year with he low pressure switch on the condensing I and had a service last month. When the temp ouside reaches 100+ it can't keep up, I thought adding insulaton like my Avalanch ewould help deflect some of the engine heat away no luck.

Any suggestions.

I assume they evacuated your system before recharging it with refrigerant? Did the job right?

You might want to have the refrigerant pressures checked.

Then check the front "condenser" which is the set of coils for the A/C in front of the radiator. Be sure it is not blocked and air can flow good.

If there is an extra electric fan for this area, might want to make sure it is working. And you may be able to add an extra electric fan to help cool that condenser off.

The way air conditioning works is it "removes the heat" from the vehicle. Sounds a bit weird, but that is the way it works. The condenser coils in front are loaded with this heat from the vehicle as the A/C compressor pressurizes the refrigerant, then this heat needs to be gotten rid of. Either from air blowing through the coils as you drive or a fan blowing air through it if you are in stop and go traffic.
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/ac.htm

Other than checking your A/C system to be sure it is functioning as it should... I was born in Arizona where it gets to be 120 degreed F. in the summer. And many vehicles had a hard time cooling the vehicle in those temperatures.

People in Arizona get white painted vehicles as this color reflects the sun and keeps the vehicle cooler. Dark colored vehicles are a no no in Arizona because the get to be so hot!

Then also everybody has their windows tinted. This keeps the sun out and keeps the vehicle cooler. Then also park in the shade if possible. They also have reflective shields which they put in the front windshield to keep the sun out when parking in the sun. (I have needed hot pan holders there to touch the steering wheel it was so hot!)

Then when going on long trips, they will put towels in the rear window on the sun side to keep the sun out...

Last edited by bill190; 07-29-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    92 GMC Sierra 2500

P.S. Be sure to place your A/C on "recirculate". The fan noise should get louder when you do this.
    92 GMC Sierra 2500