GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 96 Sub No Turn Signals

I have a 96 Sub 207,000 miles runs great but the turn signals stopped working, no outward cause associated like an acccident.

I checked and replaced bulbs (double filament)

I checked fuses they looked OK and even replaced the turn signal and stop Hazard fuses to be positive.

I replaced the Hazard flasher under the dash

Turn signals still do not work and I asked a dealer service Tech that said it is most likely the combo turn switch, and quoted me somewhere near $400 for the part (I'm thinking yeah right I'll get right on that bargain) accepting my fate I found one at a yard for $50, although I had a blast disconnecting the air bag and pulling off the steering wheel, not to mention play time in the sea of wires... I got everything back together only to still not have any turn signals.

My 4 ways work so can I rule out a wiring short or does the turn signals use separate wires. Is there a flasher\relay or fuseable link somewhere in the mix that i should check.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jr. Engineer

IF your blinker and turn signals still show on the dash when you turn them on but they click really fast. then you need to replace the circuit board in you taillights.. Hope this helps

You said you replaced the hazard flasher. Did you replace the turn signal flasher?
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    You said you replaced the hazard flasher. Did you replace the turn signal flasher?
    Good point. Most vehicles have 2 flashers. Many can be swapped to check one against the other as a test. Do the 4 way flashers work?
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    I researched this and was told that the 96 incorporates the Hazard and Flasher relay in one unit, New to me as I have always worked with the 2 style system that you could swap for a known good part test.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Good point. Most vehicles have 2 flashers. Many can be swapped to check one against the other as a test. Do the 4 way flashers work?
    Addition the 4 ways do work and have not been an issue, I mean they have worked as expected all along.

Seeing as that if I get pulled over for not having turn signals it's gonna cost me a bundle for the state charity. So I need to keep on this until its fixed....... I also heard from a previous mechanic that he has seen this before and the cause was the ignition switch, He told me that individual terminals in the wiring harness can fail and others like cruise control wipers etc work just fine. Basically telling me I replaced the turn signal combo switch for no reason .... I swore I heard him laugh.... any thoughts on the ignition switch being the cause? I looked at a few wiring diagrams and can't really say that it is or isn't possible, its just that the replacement parts are getting spendy to keep going plus its loosing is "hey this will be a fun little project" status.

Thanks for all the help so far.