GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default new guys needs some help

hey guys, new here and also just got a truck, was in the honda scene but found a good deal on a truck so decided to try this out. well i just bought a 99 5.3 silverado yesterday and it drove fine but today when i was drivin it home the service engine light came on, now is there a way to see whats wrong without getting it scanned by a tech or do i have to pretty much take it there to get it checked? just wondering cause i wont be drivin for a while. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redliner89 View Post
    hey guys, new here and also just got a truck, was in the honda scene but found a good deal on a truck so decided to try this out. well i just bought a 99 5.3 silverado yesterday and it drove fine but today when i was drivin it home the service engine light came on, now is there a way to see whats wrong without getting it scanned by a tech or do i have to pretty much take it there to get it checked? just wondering cause i wont be drivin for a while. thanks
    Welcome to the GMTC! You can take your truck to Auto Zone and they will scan it for free.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Sounds like you got had! I had the same thing happen when I bought my truck the previous owner cleared the code just to unload it and then it became my problem, like previously posted Autozone will scan your truck for free they do this as a courteousy hoping, you then buy the parts from them. another suggestion would be to ask a friend who has a progammer most of the better ones will pull codes and clear them. I didnt even know that until one day when my brother in law pulled out his superchip and resett mine. I now have a diablo predator that I use to check and clear my codes.once you get the code(s) post it here and Im sure someone will be able to help you out.
    Last edited by zubbiez; 07-29-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: grammer
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Welcome

Yes, the PO might have gotten tricky with you.But on the bright side most "check engine" turn out to be relatively cheap and easy enough to fix- O2 sensor or such.

I would get the code and see what it is.If the truck is running well, it probably isn't anything to bad.

Luck
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

yeah its running a lil different now, when you barely press the gas it kinda studders and revs up abiut 100 rpm then back and does its until it downshifts. but the tranny is good on it and shifts fine, i would take it to autozone but it wont be out on the road for a while, so i was wondering if there was a way to check it besides that, thanks

Go to the zone and buy a obd II scanner, you can find them on sale all the time for less than a 100 bucks. Nice to have in your toolbox to check and clear your codes without waiting on the store to open.
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

Default hypertech

get yourself a computer programmer from hypertech or various other comanies. There will be differnt ones and you will need a good one probably about $300, you will also need this anytime you make a mod to the engine or drivetrain. it can better your gas milage and give you more power at the same time

yeah i have wanted to look into the programers, i know they can do some crazy power for the deisels but is it the same for mine? its just a 00 5.3, stock, just wonderin what all they can do.

Blog Entries

autozone scans for free.

Programmers are fvckin useless!

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|