GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Envoy wont start. battery good, no click or anything

So last night I went to start the envoy and it wont start. I had lights and everything. Battery meter reads 14V. I tried jumping it just in case. Didnt work. I turn the key and I get nothing. All I hear is the fuel injectors. I have checked all fuses. No engine light. I hooked up my code reader to check and it has a I/M section where it checks for Misfire, O2 sensors. Evap, etc. It will just say Ready Or Not Ready. The following said Not Ready:CAT,EVAP,2AIR,O2S,HO2S. I am thinking thats because it wasnt running. Am I wrong in thinking this. And anybody have any ideas why it wont start? Please Help!!!!! Thanks
    2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2L auto (100k miles)
    2000 VW Jetta 2.0 5speed (98k miles) wifes car

if you tried to jump start it, im thinking a bad starter

See if it is getting power to the starter.

Then there is a starter solenoid which is a relay or "electric switch" and this is part of the starter. This would have a small wire going to it. See if you are getting power to this small wire when you turn the key to start.

And be sure there is +12 volts on the large wire. And that there is a good ground connection.

Also measure these voltages when turning the key to start.

If you are not getting power to the small wire, check ALL fuses*. Look in your owner's manual for locations of fuses in your vehicle. There can sometimes be 3 different fuse boxes on a newer vehicle.

How to check fuses...
    http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Test_Fuse.htm

*In newer vehicles there can be 24 different computer modules. Sometimes if one of these does not have power, it can "mess up the whole works"! The module may not seem to have any direct connection to your problem, but will in fact be a main computer communications link to everything else.
    92 GMC Sierra 2500

Sr. Engineer

Ignition switch. Pretty common in the trailblazers/envoys.

Blog Entries

its bad to jump start these new cars.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

Sr. Apprentice

Default Fixed Bad Ignition Switch

It was the ignition switch. $40 at Advance Auto Parts store. Took me 15 min to replace. It was real easy. The only glitch I had was when I put the new one in it wouldnít start it. I noticed the key didnít turn back to the run position after trying to start it. I adjusted the gear on it and tried again. It fired right up. Thank you to al that replied. I was trying to look for instructions on how to replaced it and couldnít find any. So here is the steps that I took to replace it...
    1) Remove the 6 screws that hold the dash under the steering wheel.
    2) Pry about the covering around the steering column. The adjustment lever for the height of the steering wheel pops off. Look right below the ignition. You will see the electronic switch.
    3) Pull the defective switch out and unplug the pigtail.
    4) Reinsert the pigtail into the new switch and reinsert it into the column.
    5) Try to start it. If your turn doesn't bounce back from the start position pull the switch back out and turn the gear on the top part one click. Reinsert and try again. Keep turning it one click till it will start the vehicle and you have all modes( Acc, Run, Start.)
    6) Reassemble everything.

Hope this helps somebody. Its not hard to do if you know how to use a nut driver. Thatís the only tool I needed to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ToNe04 View Post
    its bad to jump start these new cars.
    not sure about the brand new ones but 2000 and older all have a red post on them that you hook the pos to so that you can jump them. it's not a bad thing to jump them you just have to do it the right way.