GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Want to Add OEM Remote Cassette to My 01 Silverado

I bought an OEM remote cassette for my 01 Silverado. I have the OEM dash CD/radio head unit and I need to know if the truck has the wiring harness already in the dash from the factory or if I have to purchase one? I don't want to pull the dash apart until I have all of the items I will need for the install. Wiring Diagrams, Etc.

Thanks, Jeff
    2001 Chevy Silverado LS Extended Cab

Is this remote cassette a specific *factory* option for your year/model vehicle?

If yes, you could check with a GM dealer parts department and see what all is needed for the install.

And this information would be in a GM Factory Service Manual set for that year. This is if it was an option for that year.
    92 GMC Sierra 2500

mine has the factory remote cassette and if u look on the back of the oem radio, it should have two plugs on the back...the plug for my r/c was on the passenger side

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Badbrad469 View Post
    mine has the factory remote cassette and if u look on the back of the oem radio, it should have two plugs on the back...the plug for my r/c was on the passenger side
    Badbrad469:

Did you add the remote cassette and if so, did the radio have the wiring harness connection for it from the factory?

no, it came that way from the factory. but, to see if yours has it, just take off the trim around the stereo/gauges and pull out the factory stereo and look on the back. it's really easy, there are little tabs on each side that u just push them down and the stereo comes out.

your factory radio will have the port for the cassette player anyways all the radios of that year do, when you got the cassette player did it come with an extension harness? If so then you just have to run in up and plug it into the back if it didnt then you will have to purchase one from gm or find someone with that harness.
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser-Wave View Post
    your factory radio will have the port for the cassette player anyways all the radios of that year do, when you got the cassette player did it come with an extension harness? If so then you just have to run in up and plug it into the back if it didnt then you will have to purchase one from gm or find someone with that harness.
    GM dealer only had the 9 pin female connectors and no wire.

what a pain in the rear, your best bet is to try to find one online or see if someone wants to give you one because they are getting rid of that tape player.
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics