GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: gas???

Default gas???

Any truth to putting premium in the tank to gain a a little extra zip????? Or not worth the extra $$$$ for unleaded.
    :great:Semper FI

2008 Vortec 6.0 LT Z-71
    2500 HD "BIG BOY" Truck
    Stealth Grey Metallic
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    Line X Bed liner
    265 75 R16 Michelin LTX M/S2 ORWl
    Chrome step bars
    Fog lights
    3M clear shield hood protector
    Putco over sized boss locker side rails 2 1/2"
    Truxedo Low Pro QT Tonneau Cover

Every time I've tried it, it didn't make any difference. If the engine is designed for "reg.", that is what it is tuned for. Some of the "tuners" on the site should be able to tell you if they can tune it for premium. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

If I have my tuner set for the high performance tune and I don't use premium it spark knocks something terrible. Also I have found that I can use Shell mid grade and it will not spark knock either. I usually pay the few cents extra just for the insurance---never know when you'll need to light someone up!!!
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

Cool gas??

If your truck was designed for 87 and your not using a tuner, than putting premium in is a waste. Do use a good quality 87 octane fuel not some fuel from a discount station.

If your here in the mountains you use 85 ;)

My short answer is essentially what silveradotrailblazer said: unless you've modified the engine to need higher octane fuel, there's no advantage to using higher octane fuel.

Octane number is not a measure of "energy" in gasoline. Octane number is merely a measure of how well gasoline resists "knocking" or "pinging." Pre-detonation can ruin an engine. GM's engineers decided that most people will buy the cheapest gas they can get (87 octane), so they designed the engine (timing curve, compression ratio, etc.) to not ping on 87 octane gas. (85 octane is used at higher altitude because the lower air density at higher elevation reduces the tendency to ping, and a lower octane can be used with the stock tune).

Someone like tattooed4life comes along and says, "I want better performance." A tuner says, "I can make the timing curve in your computer more 'aggressive/advanced' which will give you better performance. The more aggressive timing curve will also increase the tendency to predetonate. You will then need to buy the more expensive, higher octane gas to counter the increased tendency to ping." Someone like tattooed4life decides that performance is more important than cheap gas, so he accepts the tuners proposed modification.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

ok 10-4 will only use 87

Jr. Apprentice Waldo Castellanos's Avatar

hello

even with 93 octane my engine is pinging obviously with 87 it's a complete rattle

its very light with the 93 but you can still hear it, it does it with low idle accelaration:

dead stop acceleration, accelaration after a gear shift and the hard throttle acceleration

changed plugs went thru the whole 60 / 40 gap deal so its running ac delco iridiums at 40
    changed wires, fuel filter air filter

since its a 00 cant mess with the timing so i'm stumpped

thanks for the help in advance
    2006 Suburban Z71 / Chevy 350 Powered Jeep YJ / 2001 Jeep XJ

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    (85 octane is used at higher altitude because the lower air density at higher elevation reduces the tendency to ping, and a lower octane can be used with the stock tune).
    I did not know this random factoid and appreciate its inclusion.