GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default which direction should i go?

i have a 98 silverado z71 5-speed with a 350 that i built in it, flowmaster exaust, and a 6in lift. the motor has 10:1 compression, is balanced and has a .490/300 cam in it.i have kept the L-31 heads and fuel injection. i am having a problem with the computer picking up the cam and setting the miss-fire on number 6 cylinder code. so the fuel injection wont advance the timing so i am not getting any power and on hard braking it stalls sometimes. i am debating between going to black bear performance or just putting a closer to stock cam in it. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you have the money to go with the black bear performance (not to mention the extra fuel you'll probably use with the added fun of more power) then go with it. But if you would rather not get 8 gallons to the mile, go with the milder cam. I know if I had the money to go big or go home I'd go BIG!!!!!!!!!!! But thats what I would do.
    [/SIGPIC]07 Silverado LS factory 20's, spray in bedliner, in-bed cargo managment system, matching tint on front windows, K&N CAI, and Hypertech Max Engery Tuner and yet even more mods to come.

Welcome to the site! There are more than one "tuners" on the site, so maybe they can give you some help. Sounds like a nice Z/71 though!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

thanks. my father and i have done all of the work ourselves(there is not a part on this truck i havent touched). i know this motor has power because it used to be in an older carburated truck and it would smoke the tires in 4 wheel drive. so i am leaning more towards tuning the computer. but black bear is really the only one ive heard much about. any suggestions on other tuning companies?

your cam is a bit to hot for the computer you look into the gm performance parts cam? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-14097395/

That's a pretty big cam for sure. Do you have the Vortec Heads on it? I know you said L-31, I'm just not familiar with that. I was talking to an engine builder the other day and he said the Vortec heads can't take much than .460 lift.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

the pcm is picking up the extra hydrocarbons from the cam. typical on hairy cams. bad for a computer trying to run clean swap cams

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!