GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Ball bearing stuck on magnet in transmission pan

Changed out the transmission filter. Stuck to the magnet at the bottom of the pan was a single small ball bearing. I have put about 10k miles on it since I got it without any transmission problems. 130k mile to 140k miles. Not sure if the original owner ever changed the filter. Fluid was red and doesnt smell burnt but the ball bearing leaves me a bit concerned.

Shifting fine though.

Any thoughts?
    Danny
    Saint Petersburg FL
    1999 SUBURBAN LT C1500
    1985 MAZDA RX-7 BLOWTHROUGH TURBO
    1987 BMW 325IS
    1994 Infinti Q45
    1997 Nissan Maxima GLE

Quote Originally Posted by i_build View Post
    Changed out the transmission filter. Stuck to the magnet at the bottom of the pan was a single small ball bearing. I have put about 10k miles on it since I got it without any transmission problems. 130k mile to 140k miles. Not sure if the original owner ever changed the filter. Fluid was red and doesnt smell burnt but the ball bearing leaves me a bit concerned.

Shifting fine though.

Any thoughts?
    This happens if someone rebuilt the transmission previously and dropped a valve body ball and it disappeared. It then shows up on the magnet after the transmission is turned over and installed. No big deal if the trans is working OK. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only place you will fine these 1/4" check balls is inside the valve body and there's no way they can escape.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Wouldn't worry too much about it??? I thought that the check balls were some of the most important things in the valve body... I know I accidentally left a needle filter out of my transmission, but one I rebuild the tranny it's going back in...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Wouldn't worry too much about it??? I thought that the check balls were some of the most important things in the valve body... I know I accidentally left a needle filter out of my transmission, but one I rebuild the tranny it's going back in...
    LOL, don't get too excited. I have dropped check balls by accident and never found them. They always end up in the bottom of the pan. If the transmission was actually "missing" a check ball it would not work right and would probably burn up.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible