GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 04 Suburban - Transmission Overheating???

We recently bought a 19' Jayco travel trailer that we pull with our 2004 Chevy K2500 Suburban. The first few times we pulled it, the transmission temperature was reading around 190 to 200 F. We had the transmission flushed and now it stills runs around 180 to 190 F. Is this okay? Should I look at putting on an external cooler? Help.

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter View Post
    We recently bought a 19' Jayco travel trailer that we pull with our 2004 Chevy K2500 Suburban. The first few times we pulled it, the transmission temperature was reading around 190 to 200 F. We had the transmission flushed and now it stills runs around 180 to 190 F. Is this okay? Should I look at putting on an external cooler? Help.
    That's not too hot 'but' if you are towing you can make your transmission live twice as long by adding an aux cooler. Most trucks come with one if they have the towing package. True Cool makes the best aftermarket cooler IMO.

Here's a link: Click

Shop around as you can find better deals online.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Jimmiee,
    Thanks for the info. The research I have completed thus far says to put the cooler in a spot with good air flow. The best spot I could think of is behind the radiator. Any thougths? Also after viewing your link, there were 3 different sizes to choose from. Should I just try and get the biggest one that will fit? Sorry for all the questions, but as you said, I want my transmission to last as long as I can. I had to change out the tranny on my '98 Chevy Silverado last year and kinda hit my pocket book.

dont put it behind the rad. it needws to go infront find a truck with a tow pakage and put it were the factory guys put it (ie.car lots private sellers ) they dont need to know your not buying just doing research

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!

Some tranny coolers come with fans, easier to find location. Watch the tranny temp & turn fan on as needed.
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

Quote Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter View Post
    Jimmiee,
    Thanks for the info. The research I have completed thus far says to put the cooler in a spot with good air flow. The best spot I could think of is behind the radiator. Any thougths? Also after viewing your link, there were 3 different sizes to choose from. Should I just try and get the biggest one that will fit? Sorry for all the questions, but as you said, I want my transmission to last as long as I can. I had to change out the tranny on my '98 Chevy Silverado last year and kinda hit my pocket book.
    The biggest one that will fit is the way I always go with coolers. Never put a cooler behind the radiator as that will warm the fluid instead of cooling it. Also a cooler in front of the radiator will cool better than a cooler hidden under the truck and cooled with an electric fan. The electric fan coolers are OK but in front of the radiator is better IMO>
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible