GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Muffler

Default New Muffler

I have been debating on whether or not to put a muffler on my new truck, and have decided I would like to but it needs to have the following qualities.

1. Low interior resonace

2. Not to loud on the outside, but a nice deep tone when getting on the gas.

- My last truck had true duals no mufflers = to loud. So what muffler would be my best option?

Oh I plan on getting the stock one taken out and new one put in and a tip on the stock exhaust.
    2000 Silverado, 3" body lift with 2" rear block in rear and torsion bars cranked up front. Westin bull bar, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ. 2 3/4 true duals no mufflers to 4" stainless tips at 65 degree angle, smoked tailights, led lightbar, black halo headlights.

Blog Entries

depends on the piping diameter.

i think stock is 2.75 in/out

get something around there.

I have a magnaflow 2.75 and its perfect you cant hear it if im cruising or w.e but, when i step on it it sounds good.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

Maybe a Flowmaster 50???? Anything is better than strait pipes....
    2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 in Black

6" BDS Suspension Lift | 3" BDS Body Lift |17" Rock Crawler Stellies | 35" Cooper STTs | 4.56 Yukon Gears | AirAid CAI and TBS | Flowmaster 40s | HyperPAC Programmer

2001 TJ Sahara in Sienna

3.5" RE Suspension Lift | 33x12.50 Baja MTZs | D30/44 | ROKMEN Merc Front Bumper | Warn Rockcrawler Rear w/ Carrier | Warn M8000 Winch

I have a magnaflow 3'' on my 06 4.8l and it sounds awsome, we took just a standard muffler and a mandrel bent tail pipe from a 91 ish k series cut off the stock muffler welded in a 2.75'' to 3'' adaptor, cut the tail pipe down to fit and then put the system in. It was relativaly inexpensive and works well, i highly recomend it, it is quiet when cruising but sounds great when you stand on it.

I swapped my stock muffler for a flowmaster 40 muffler. It sounds perfect. Not loud until you get on it. And I kept all of the pipe ahead of the muffler stock and did a custom turn down after the muffler.
    Michael, 17, CA

2005 Silverado - See my garage for my mod list
    :great:

The Flowmaster 50 delta was one that I looked into and could possibly be the one. I don't really know much about magnaflows anyone have any more info on those?
    2000 Silverado, 3" body lift with 2" rear block in rear and torsion bars cranked up front. Westin bull bar, 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ. 2 3/4 true duals no mufflers to 4" stainless tips at 65 degree angle, smoked tailights, led lightbar, black halo headlights.

Had a flowmaster 50 series, found out it just didn't have the sound I wanted-didn't seem much louder than stock to me. It just had the flowmaster sound. I then went to the original 40 series and it was right on the money, perfect interior noise and sounded bad as hell outside! Loud enough to get noticed when I wanted.
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

the flowmasters are ok but the magnaflows are of better quality, the steel is higher quality and the welding is much better. In my opinion they are a better exhaust. just compare a magnaflow to a flowmaster at your local parts store

if you're looking for just a muffler.. i'd go with magnaflows...if you wanted a full catback exhaust system... i'd go with corsa

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L EC/Std Bed 4x4 Flexfuel
    Full Metal Jacket Spray on Bed Liner
    Black Powder coat Diamond Plate Weatherguard Tool Box
    Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust System
    K&N Flat Panel OEM replacement Air Filter
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires P275/55/R20
    Black Reflective pinstripe and VORTEC hood lettering
    Billet front bowtie
    Rear Bowtie Delete
    Blue strobe grille lights
    Blue strobe rear window lights
    Blue LED Mini Light bar in front Grille

So the 40 series delta flow is quieter than the regular 40 series?

Which magnaflow would work well for me? and what size bigger the better?

I don't want to much interior noise but a nice tone outside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast