GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Showing Signs of Life

First, let me thank you all for being so accepting of my hybrid vehicle. By hybrid I mean it is a 1992 Suburban powered 1937 Cadillac LaSalle.

Life has been getting in the way of my hot rod build...so I took the day off and spent it in the garage. This would have been more fun if it wasn't 110 degrees in the shade.

I am using the wiring harness from the 1992 Suburban that I took the engine out of. So far I am glad I did because I get some new car luxuries that would have taken me forever to wire myself.

I have the Caddy wired, but there is one more gremlin I am trying to overcome. The headlights and the turn signals are all working, but when I turn on the parking lights or headlights the turn signals do not light up.

I have three wires (brown, black, and dark green/yellow) running to the turn signals, but the turn signals are 1941 chevy tailights with just two wires. the only way the turn signals work is to connect the ground and then the green or yellow depending on which side. The minute I connect the brown to anything the turn signals stop working, but the running lights turn on.

Am I missing something?
    Thank you

wish I could help, but I wanted to join this thread to read along in the adventure. can u possible post some pics of ur monstrosity?
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Default Pictures, thanks for your interest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before Disassembly.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	3441

Name:	subengrem1.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	3442

Name:	engine 1.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	3443

Quote Originally Posted by mean_green_95 View Post
    wish i could help, but i wanted to join this thread to read along in the adventure. Can u possible post some pics of ur monstrosity?

Blog Entries

thats coming out sick keep us updated

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

I am not sure but you have two choices in my book buy new lights with updated wires. Or use a jumper wire and feed the brown as a negative. I am no electrician so i cant be sure.
    08 silverado
    K&N cai
    single in dual out cherry bomb pro
    leveling kit
    custom painted bow ties
    Bed liner
    Tinted windows
    20inch Cruser Alloy Switchblades
    Goodyear Eagle GT2 285/50/20
    1 truly heavy foot + Wait4meperformance SCT Handheld
    100 shot of Nitrous Dyno tune system
    SS front bumper
    Matching painted front grill and bow ties

What was the previous engine in the Caddy? Just curious, but have you ever though of using a Cadillac 500 out of an old Hurst?

Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Green_95 View Post
    What was the previous engine in the Caddy? Just curious, but have you ever though of using a Cadillac 500 out of an old Hurst?
    The original engine would have been a flathead 8. I considered a Cadillac 500 but decided I wanted a newer engine and TBI system.

OIC. I guess just to be different, I would have gone with the 500. Theres this new efi set up that is essentially plug and play. It looks just like a carb, it mounts on a carb intake and accepts a carb's air cleaner. It doesn't require a return line or a laptop to set it. It comes preset from the factory and starts right up the first crank. The only problem, its a pretty penny if u would want it.

Default Your light problem

You most likely figured this out by now seeing that its more than a year ago. But I had a similar issue putting trailer lights on a toyota pick-up they had a converter at the auto parts store from a 5 wire to a 4 wire light system. it sounds to me like thats what you got going on. hope this helps some one.