GM Truck Club
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default Rear ended someone

    I have a problem, I rear ended someone with my boyfriend's truck last night. It wasn't so bad, but I've never done that before. We exchanged insurance numbers, driver's license numbers, and phone numbers, but made no report to the poilce as no one was hurt. When I did call 911 for the proper protocol, the dispatch lady told me that both of us need to report it to a police station within the next ten days and then give my insurance company the report. I just dont wanna be screwed over here. Does this sound correct?? It was so minor on a late 90's Toyota Corolla. Will this be expensive?? how much do these kinds of body kits or whatever cost? I'd imagine it'll just the bumper. Thanks for the input in advance!
    Last edited by frenchlake; 08-07-2009 at 08:14 AM.

  2. #2


    Welcome to GMTC. Here in Nevada it's mandatory you report the accident within 10 days. If you do not you can be cited and pay a fine. Your best bet is to call your insurance company and let them deal with it. After all that is why you pay them isn't it?

    2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

    Other rides:

    1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Red Wing, Minnesota, United States


    Your partially in luck, being from MN, if he doesnt report the accident you cant be held liable, being that you didnt call the cops you are already on the way out of any responsibility to the accident, and thats part of the reason MN has no fault. The same thing happened to me 18 months ago. I bumped a lady, she didnt want to call the cops, all I did was put a small 1/4 inch wide dent in her F150 bumper. Nothing happened to me, thank you brush guard, so i was gonna just buy her a new bumper. Once I found out about this I could care less. Her insurance company keeps sending letters and every time the bill has gotten less and less, as they are just looking to get me to pay for part thus showing blame and then taking me to court. No police report, very hard to prove the rear endee had no fault in the accident. Like if the corolla was a 5 speed, maybe they just happend to roll a little and actually hit you!!

    Oh, Welcome to the site!!
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual

  4. #4
    Jr. Engineer
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada


    everything depends on your local laws, I would call a local police detachement and ask "I Was wondering about something,IF MY FRIEND (lol) hypothetically got in an accident what is the proper protocol for dealing with the accident?"

    or something like that.

    This is an excerpt from minnesotaa drivers manual

    What to Do in a Traffic Crash
    If you are involved in a crash, you must take certain actions to ensure
    safety and compliance with the law:
    • You must stop. Pull out of the driving lane, if possible, onto
    the shoulder. Turn off the ignition to decrease the risk of fire.
    • Protect yourself and the crash scene. Warn other drivers of danger
    with emergency warning lights, flares, or flashlight.
    • If someone in the crash is injured or killed, you must call the
    nearest law enforcement agency or 911 as quickly as possible.
    • If you are qualified, administer first aid. Otherwise, do what you
    can to make injured persons comfortable. You are required by law
    to provide a reasonable degree of assistance to crash victims.
    Traffic Laws and Vehicle Operation 34
    Minnesota Driver’s Manual
    • You must provide your name, address, date of birth and registration
    number of your vehicle to other drivers involved in the crash and
    to any law enforcement officer at the scene. You must also show
    your driverʼs license to any driver who asks to see it and to any law
    enforcement officer at the scene.
    • If a person involved in the crash asks for your insurance information,
    you must provide the name and address of your insurance carrier
    and the name of your agent.
    • Insurance information must be given to the law enforcement
    officer investigating the crash. If you do not have this information
    with you, you must provide it within 72 hours.
    • If a crash results only in property damage, it is not necessary to
    notify law enforcement. If your vehicle is disabled, have it towed
    as soon as possible.
    • If you damage property other than a vehicle, you must inform the
    property owner.

    Traffic Crash Reports

    Every driver who is involved in a crash that results in injury, death, or
    property damage of $1,000 or more must file a traffic crash report within
    ten days of the incident. Find the form at under
    “Forms,” Crash/Accident Report, or call the DVS Public Information
    Center at 651-296-6911 to have a form mailed to you. Send the written
    report to Driver and Vehicle Services, 445 Minnesota Street, Suite 181,
    St. Paul, Minnesota 55101. The report can also be filed electronically
    at under “Services,” Crash Records Report.

    if there is more than $1000 damage to all vehicles combined then you need to report it to cover you @$$ otherwise you could face other problems.

    thats just my 2 cents.

    1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

    2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

    "If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    East of Branson, Missouri
    Blog Entries


    I'm going to agree with Jimmie. Although it's not always the 'best' thing to do it is exactly the right thing to do. Your/his insurance will have to pay the damages on the car. If you would rather NOT involve the insurance then you can price the damage yourself. Call the guy up and ask him if he'd rather work with you in not involving insurance. Depending on the deductible it might be cheaper (for you) to fix the problem rather than going through insurance. If you have a $500 ded then you might be close as to the cost of repair, all depending on the severity of the damage. If the bumper/bumper cover needs replaced then it might well be over that.

    If he's willing to work with you ask him to go get an estimate, quickly. If it's a lot tell him you'll let your insurance cover it. If it's not then bite the bullet and cut a check.

    That's what I would tend to do in your situation. I don't know if that's the perfectly legal way to go about it nor do I know what kind of repercussions can amount from it so take these words as an opinion.

    Good luck and please let us know what comes of it. It's good information to pass on to others.

    "The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

  6. #6
    Master Mechanic Darknesss23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Brookfield, Ct.


    MAN! wth! you rearended a late 90's toyota corrola and i got rearended by one! freaky! i dunno what kind of damage is on your truck or the toyota but mine is going to cost about $2400 to fix as i just got a check from my insurance company yesterday... the only difference between you and me is that mine happened in a parking lot and according to the local cops because it was on private property they really DON'T investigate.. so it was declared no one was at fault and that we would go through our own insurance co's to get it fixed...

    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L EC/Std Bed 4x4 Flexfuel
    Full Metal Jacket Spray on Bed Liner
    Black Powder coat Diamond Plate Weatherguard Tool Box
    Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust System
    K&N Flat Panel OEM replacement Air Filter
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires P275/55/R20
    Black Reflective pinstripe and VORTEC hood lettering
    Billet front bowtie
    Rear Bowtie Delete
    Blue strobe grille lights
    Blue strobe rear window lights
    Blue LED Mini Light bar in front Grille

  7. #7


    i wouldn't report it you dont need to in MN as long as the other person does not file a report your fine

    2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

  8. #8
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Havre de Grace, Maryland, United States


    In MD, you do NOT have to call the police, however, you would be on your own with your insurance companies. If you do an Information Exchange prior to us arriving, we would not do anything. If you wait until we get there, we do an information exchange form with the case # for your insurance. If a vehicle is totalled, towed, or someone is injured/killed, it's an automatic MAARS report with a drawing/sketch and the condition of road, time of day, etc etc and case #. THAT paper goes right to insurance. The Information Exchange form is given to both drivers and they need to report the accident to their insurance.
    Last edited by jchughes05; 05-30-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: EDIT: UNLESS THERE IS PERSONAL INJURY, THEN YOU MUST CALL POLICE

Similar Threads

  1. 99-04 Chevy Truck Silverado Rear Rear Axle Shaft
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Parts eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last: 05-26-2010, 03:40 PM
  2. A School Bus Full of Students is Rear Ended in Raleigh County - State Journal
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Compact Cars (Aveo & Cobalt)
    Replies: 1
    Last: 04-01-2010, 02:24 AM
  3. Rear Climate Control with Rear Seat Audio Controls
    By sassafras in forum GM Electrical Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last: 01-28-2010, 05:43 PM
  4. 99-04 Chevy Truck Silverado Rear Rear Axle Shaft
    By ChevyFan in forum Chevy Parts eBay
    Replies: 0
    Last: 12-30-2009, 09:10 PM
  5. Wierd rear brake valve linked to rear axle housing..what is it?
    By Big6ft6 in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 11
    Last: 01-31-2008, 01:56 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts