GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 1997 c1500 exhaust help.

I have been lurking on this site for a while, looking for some help with upgrading my exhaust, but havent quite found what i need, so I decided to join!!

I want to upgrade my exhaust for under $200. I was thinking single in-dual out, 45 degree bend behind the tires. I can't decide between magnaflow or flowmaster. I would either get the flowmaster super 44, or super 40. Im not as educated on magnaflow mufflers. I was thinking i could get a shop to do all the bends and welds for me, and i would supply my own muffler and tips, to save some money.

**So, Flowmaster or Magnaflow? Super 44 or Super 40? What tips should i be looking at? What size piping should i get? How much am I looking at spending for this?

*Any additional information is appreciated!

Thanks, Joe

Legend

Well I can say that under $200 is gonna be tough, just tips can be 30-50 a piece. I had a magnaflow on my burban and liked it but it rotted out under three years so I then went with a Flo-Pro and I love it!! No drone that the magnaflow had, and a much mutter growl to it and cheaper
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Apprentice

i just put a flowmaster series-40 on mine and i love it cost me about 100 though just for the muffler, umm dont know about the rotting out problem but i did notice that it didnt have the small condesation drain in the bottom so i drilled about an 1/16th" hole in the bottom rear of the muffler, to drain all of the condensation, so far it works, so i should help with the rotting of the muffler, 200 $ will be tight but you should be able to get a fair amount of it done for that, just depends of the shops prices and labour rate
    barrie, ontario, canada
    1995 chev 1500 2wd
    1990 vw jetta 1.6TD project

"Do or Do Not, There is no Try"

What size inlet/outlet am i looking for on my exhaust? Should the inlets be offset, or centered?

Jr. Apprentice

stock is 2.5" inlet and outlet, with an offset

What size tips should i get? I like the look of bigger ones since im going to bend them at a 45 degree angle behind the tires. Maybe 3" ones??? Is 18" long enough? Or should i go with 22"? Where should i get my tips from?

I went with 3" from the headers back and love it. I had a local exhaust shop do it and I bought the muffler through them. All finished, it cost me around $350 (I think, it's been awhile). I didn't do a tip though.

Another thing you should ask yourself is: what are you looking at getting out of the exhaust? Performance? Sound? If you're only concerned with the sound of the mufflers, there are websites out there that have sound clips of the mufflers on various vehicles.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

I'm mainly only concerned with the sound. Its an old truck, with 200,000 miles, and im not looking to make a slow truck, into a still slow truck. haha.

man i have the same truck and i am bout to put three inch pipe new cats no muffler and 6 inch diesal tips but your limited on the price its foin to be a lil steep for what you want ant the price range you want i would say three inch pipe no muffle and 4 and 1 half tips unless yaw go through inspections then i would get the muffler but no inspections no muffler that should cut your cost and make that chevy sound realy mean

I put true duals on my 05 with the old flowmaster 40's and its LOUD! It has turn downs right before the axle. All said and done, it cost about $295.
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by