GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Component Speakers

Alright guys. So i need to replace some of my comp speakers.
    how many are there total? because most likely im gonna replace them all.
    whats a good brand? i heard boston acoustics were pretty good.
    but i wanna here you alls opinions before purchasing anything

Jr. Apprentice

i have a 2000 chevy silverado ls ex cab i forgot to put that in

You're front speakers will be 6 1/2 and the rears are 4x6. I suggest you visit some local car audio shops and listen to the different speakers available. If you're going to stay with the factory head unit, then listen to speakers powered from just a head unit. If you are replacing that and going to have an amplifier involved, then listen to speakers that are amplified. You should never buy speakers blindly without listening to them first.

In your case if you want to install component speakers in the front, you should probably look at amplifying them. Otherwise, replace the OEM's with an aftermarket coaxial.

As for brand opinion, it depends on how you will use them and what you listen to. I'm partial to Eclipse and J&L personally.

Legend

You WILL need an amp for aftermarket components, you just wont get your moneys worth out of them without one. Also, I would go with 5 1/4 quarters for the rear instead of 4x6. Most technology for speakers is going into 5 1/4, 6" and 6 3/4, 4x6 and 6x9 are going the way of leaded gas.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

You do NOT have to have an amp for all aftermarket components speakers. Many head units run an average of 20-30 watts continuous RMS. Lower priced component speakers from Sony and Clarion can be driven from a head unit without issue. It is advised by many that you do, but not necessary if you get the right speakers which is why it is so important to go out to audio shops in your area and listen to them.

He also does not have to go with 5 1/4 inch speakers for the rear. He can simply replace his 4X6's depending upon application (such as keeping the stock head unit) or do a set of 4 inch components in 4x6 plates. Cutting up the 4x6 area for some people is not their cup of tea and their are other options.

I think you SHOULD get an amp for aftermarket speakers.
    EvilNetwork it is true headunits are "rated" to put out 20 or so watts RMS but most of the time it's overrated and just not clean power. You would be missing out on lower midbass and highs. I would suggest getting at least a 50 Watt RMS (4 Channel) External amp.

IMO components are not worth getting if there isn't an external amp.
    Silverado Single Cab 2008 Subwoofer/Audio Build - http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26310

-12" AQ HDC3
    -Custom Downfiring Box Tuned To ~37 Hz
    -Diablo Audio Technologies HellFire 1000.1 (1000 Watts RMS)
    -Pioneer DEH-P5000UB, 4GB Flash Drive
    All In A 2008 Single Cab :gasp:

i have alpine type-R component speakers in my 2000 ls without an amp, and i think they sound great.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    i have alpine type-R component speakers in my 2000 ls without an amp, and i think they sound great.
    There is also people that think stock stereo is great, but I don't. Once you get accustomed to "Good Speakers, With a Good Amp" then you won't want to listen to Stock stereo/speakers/power again.

That's all true too... But not everyone can afford to go out and get an amp, etc etc. The point to my post and why I posted it, there ARE OPTIONS. And again, I pointed out to him, go listen to speakers, powered and not.

I spent 16 years in the mobile audio industry. Most head units run clean enough to power simpler sets of components and I guarantee it WILL sound better than a stock unit. Any day.

Personally, I would run components on an amp too but again, not everyone can afford, or, wants all of that in the first place. Many folks just want better than stock sound and they can get that in various capacities of either co-axials or components without spending huge chunks of cash or having to cut up their vehicle to squeeze in 5 1/4 inch speakers when there exist quality aftermarket 4X6's, that drop right in.

Default I've got the same truck

Hey i've got the same truck as you, i've got Infiniti Kappa speakers all around. They are very clear. Look on ebay for cheaper prices(i got them for about half price of what retailers sell them for(half price of crutchfield and such)
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by