GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Master Mechanic

Default Plastic Under Bumper

I've got an 06 silverado and it has the normal plastic under the bumper but then has a lower piece on the bottom. my question is can i take this off? i don't like the looks of it. I'm sure it was put on for a reason but i don't know what that reason would be. here is a picture you can kinda see what i'm talking about..........

2002 Tahoe LT---------TINTED WINDOWS------------7" DUAL DVD INDASH

Quote Originally Posted by lancer View Post
    I've got an 06 silverado and it has the normal plastic under the bumper but then has a lower piece on the bottom. my question is can i take this off? i don't like the looks of it. I'm sure it was put on for a reason but i don't know what that reason would be. here is a picture you can kinda see what i'm talking about..........

yep no problem, i took mine off when it got painted, there really is no need for it

05 Silverado Crew Cab, 5.3L engine w/ custom exhaust dumped before rearend, Superchips, custom paint matched mirrors, bumpers, bowtie, door buckets & tailgate bucket, Grippin billet door handles & tailgate handle, smoked taillights, HID lights, 2" lowering shackles, 20" rims, Toyo Proxes, Nu Image Red gauges, Pioneer D3 In dash, RE Audio comp/speakers, US Amps 1600.4 Xterminator amp, 4 10" pioneer shallow subs, Arc Audio KS 1000.1 amp, Autopage RS 1000 Remote Start & Alarm

i took mine off also, two bolts, and the use of a flat head screw driver to pop off the tabs, look in my sig for the picture

Master Mechanic

GREAT i never did like the look of that plastic piece. it makes the front of my truck look so much lower. i think i found my quick project for tomorrow night, after i get my bowtie repainted and put in. painted it black last night looked great tried clearing it tonight and now it looks like a$$

there is an actual purpose for those pieces of plastic they are to deflect things from the road and keep them from getting up into your motor and or belts and such. they also help deflect some road level air up into the engine compartment also for some reason. shouldn't really hurt anything it not being there. if you had a suburban or a tahoe though I would mention removing that may cause in cabin noise when all the windows are down too.

Tear it off them psot some before and after pics! I think youll like it better with it gone.
    2000 Silverado Z71 Whipple Supercharger, JBA Headers,3" cat back Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant cai, Pioneer Preimer deck,Orion subwoofer,03 signal light mirrors,03 taililghts

Took mine off months ago when I leveled the truck, it's not going to hurt anything with it not being there, after all, not all trucks have it from the factory anyway.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by lancer View Post
    GREAT i never did like the look of that plastic piece. it makes the front of my truck look so much lower. i think i found my quick project for tomorrow night, after i get my bowtie repainted and put in. painted it black last night looked great tried clearing it tonight and now it looks like a$$

I KNOW!!! i NEVER use clear coat anymore. it always screws it up. i dont know why.... i just paits stuff like 10 times!!! hahahahaha!!!

Cody- Tulsa, OK
    '04 silverado

Master Mechanic

took the plastic piece off tonight and i must say looks a MILLION times better. never thought a 4" piece of plastic could make something look so bad.

Default plastic skirt

I took mine off with the level kit. looks like ive gained 5 inches fromt the front. Well worth the three mins of labor! lol

Urban Tactical Design
    2008 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    -Tint
    -Debadged
    -Custom Grill Insert
    -Nerf Bars Steps
    -Leer Canopy with Thule Racks 100XL
    -285 65 18's
    -Incubus"Recoil" Wheels18x9
    -Tuff Country 2 inch Level Lift
    -Weather Tech Molded Mud Guards
    -Thule MOAB Basket (painted)
    -Reverse Lights mounted rear of steps (55w)
    -Garmin GPS (Portable)
    -Flo-Pro Exhaust 40 series
    Winter Set
    265 70 17's on stock z71 wheels painted xtreme liner black

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by