GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default engine coolant temp warning

Recently the check engine coolant temp light has came on on my '01 silverado. The first time it happened I started my truck and the light came on immediately and the gage was maxed out. BUT after idling for about a minute, the temp came back down to normal operating temp. The second time the light came on happened about a week after the first time. This time I was on the highway doing 70 or so. The light came on and the gage was maxed but again it started to come back down slowly to normal. I pulled over and checked my radiator resevoir level and it was good. Can anyone help me out here? what should I do?
    2001 Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N cold air intake, flexalite electric cooling fan, Edelbrock shorty headers, Amsoil synthetic oil, dual exhaust flow master 40 series muffler, Hypertech max energy programmer, MSD Ignition plug wires.

I had a similar incident with my '04. I had just had it "serviced" so I knew all the fluids were good. I messed with it for over a week and then I did what I should have done in the first place. I checked the water/anti-freeze level and it was low. I added over a gallon and the gauge has not acted up since! You probably thought to do that already, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

you might also check your fan clutch it if turns freely when you spin the fan by hand its bad and would cause that problem

Quote Originally Posted by thekingsphance View Post
    Recently the check engine coolant temp light has came on on my '01 silverado. The first time it happened I started my truck and the light came on immediately and the gage was maxed out. BUT after idling for about a minute, the temp came back down to normal operating temp. The second time the light came on happened about a week after the first time. This time I was on the highway doing 70 or so. The light came on and the gage was maxed but again it started to come back down slowly to normal. I pulled over and checked my radiator resevoir level and it was good. Can anyone help me out here? what should I do?
    I see a potential problem in your signature The headers. Your coolant temp sensor sits in between the hearer pipes and the wire may have shorted out. Check the wire and the connection to the sensor.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible