GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Transmission Temp. Gauge

I am wanting to put a trans temp gauge in my 1500 silverado and was wondering the best way to do it. My uncle's 2500 has a trans temp gauge in the gauge cluster in the dash. Would it be possible to find a used gauge cluster from a HD 2500 or 3500 and replace mine with it and somehow hook the trans temp to a sensor? Has anybody tried this or know some one who has tried it? I have looked all over and can't find anything.
    99 Silverado 1500 Z71
    5.3L 4L60E Tranny
    TransGo Shift Kit
    2.5" Rough Country
    Suspension Lift
    33" BF Good A/T
    Cherry Bomb Turbo
    Cobra CB w/
    Dual Fiberglass Antennas

01 Kawasaki KLR650

This is the best way to add a trans temp gauge IMHO.

You already have an engine oil temp gauge in your dash. Find the engine oil temp sender and buy another one just like it. It is threaded with pipe threads not machine threads. Take your new duplicate engine oil sender to Home Depot and buy the female fitting that fits it perfectly. Now take the trans pan and the sender to a welder and have him weld it in so that it serves as a drain plug as well as a temp sender. Wire both temp senders to a switch in the console or some place easy to wire and easy to reach while driving. When you're towing and want to check in on the trans you flip a switch and now you're looking at the temp of the trans flip it back and you're back to oil temp.

Quote Originally Posted by sc99z71 View Post
    I am wanting to put a trans temp gauge in my 1500 silverado and was wondering the best way to do it. My uncle's 2500 has a trans temp gauge in the gauge cluster in the dash. Would it be possible to find a used gauge cluster from a HD 2500 or 3500 and replace mine with it and somehow hook the trans temp to a sensor? Has anybody tried this or know some one who has tried it? I have looked all over and can't find anything.

What most guys are doing is putting in a Escalade Dash Cluster........Also the 99' up NBS 1/2 Ton Silverado's/Sierra's are pre-wired from the Factory for the Trans Temp Gauge, and last if you do pick one up, you will need to have it reprogrammed for the Current Mileage on your Truck......E-Bay has the Best pricing on the Escalade/Denali Dash Cluster's

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Ac...506.m104.l1200

Also remember you need to get a Cluster that is within the same Model Year as your's.....meaning a Cluster from a 99' to 02' Model, will not work for the 03' to 06'

The Escalade Cluster in my Truck

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 02-19-2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Added Picture

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Cool Transmission Temp. Gauge

Check out ttspowersystems.com They have a nice gauge mount that fits into the space under the factory radio.

Thanks for the help!!! Time to start looking.

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    What most guys are doing is putting in a Escalade Dash cluster,Also the 99' up NBS Silverado's are all ready pre wired from the Factory for the Trans Temp gauge.And last if you do pick one up,you will need to have it reprogrammed for the Current mileage on your ride.E-bay is the best place to pickup one,

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Parts-Ac...506.m104.l1200

Also remember you need to get a Cluster that is within the same Model Year as your's,Meaning a Cluster from a 99' to 02' Model, will not work for the 03' to 06'

This is the one I have in my truck,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...=p4506.c0.m245
    So on my 06 Silverado 1500 I can simply get an 06 Escalade cluter and jsut swap them (unplug old and replug in new) and ill have a tranny temp gauge? Im buyin gone today if thats true!

I put one in my 2002 Z71 ECSB from a 2001 1500HD and the guage worked immediately,I had the correct mileage programmed in the odometer by Charlie at Florida Speedometer(954-818-8188) and had him resolder the board while he had it so I wouldn't get the blank odometer/gear selector problem that is common. Personally I think the best looking one is from the Yukon Denali ,NOT the Escalade(hate it,looks like a antique radio In Grandmas attic). Be careful, the 1999-2002 look the same,BUT 1999 is unique in the circuit for the air bag,it won't work right in any other year and vice versa.

hi there i have a 03 chevy 1500 and i found a 03 2500 and want to do this to my truck but i looked mine up and it made in canada does this make a different as to if its still wired for it thanks

I put an escalade cluster in my truck, temp gauge worked right away

ok what about getting the mileage right just the dealership and reprogram it

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by