GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 4.3L V6 Vortec 04 Astro Van long block fit in a 97 GMC?

Hi,
    I have a '97 GMC Sierra Pickup with a 4.3L V6 Votrec engine. I spun the rod bearings and found a 4.3L V6 Votrec out of an '04 Astro Van. My neighbors installed it for me. The engines looked almost the same. we had to change a few things, like keeping the aluminum intake manifold from the 97 GMC, and we had to drill and tap a knocking sensor hole in the block to fit the origional sensor. But I think it's gone pretty smoothly. It's in now, and begins to turn over but wont start. I talked to a second mechanic yesterday and he says the 04 Astro Van engine will never work in my '97 GMC! that's the first I heard of that. I REALLY hope thats not true. Can someone help me out with this?
    Is there a year range of vortec engines that are compatible with only certain years?
    Thanks, Chris from Oklahoma.

"Never" is just wrong. People put LSX engines made today into cars that were made pre-WWII so you know that with the right effort and expense it can be done. Maybe the mechanic meant it's impractical?

So the engine turns over with the starter but won't start?

Which of these are you missing now? Fuel or Spark?

Check fuel with a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and a noid light for injector pulse. Check for spark with a spark test tool.

Default Reply to Z07

Thanks, yeah it sounds like the starter is trying and it just wont turn over.
    I'm not sure if it's missing spark or fuel. I'll ask after work today. ( My neighbors are the mechanics working on the truck, I just watch and try and learn )

I'll try what you suggested.

I've been looking around online, and keep finding things (for other years, not mine) that tell which engines are compatible with that particular truck. however I haven't found this for mine yet.

Does anyone know off hand, What is the swapable enigne range for the 4.3L V6 Vortec 97 GMC Serria?

Thanks for the quick responce.

I've never heard of anything that would keep you from using the newer engine. Hope it works out for you, good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Z07 View Post
    "Never" is just wrong. People put LSX engines made today into cars that were made pre-WWII so you know that with the right effort and expense it can be done. Maybe the mechanic meant it's impractical?

So the engine turns over with the starter but won't start?

Which of these are you missing now? Fuel or Spark?

Check fuel with a pressure gauge on the fuel rail and a noid light for injector pulse. Check for spark with a spark test tool.
    Good post, it's just a matter of time and effort if it can get done or not.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.