GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default audio help please

so im a complete newbie when it comes to audio... ive never done any system modifications so im clueless... i went to a local shop and they were talking to me about a probox which comes with 10'' subwoofers and a memphis amp installed for about 1000... is this a good deal or should i just buy a custom box, woofers, an amp and have it installed?

and what is a good reasonable price?

im not trying to disturb the peace or anything just want more bass
    2008 NBS Silverado Z85

4.8 V8
    -8000k HIDS
    -AVS Bugflector II
    -20% tint all around
    -17x9 Moto Metal 951
    -Rough Country 2'' Leveling Kit
    -Putco Window Visors
    -Blacked out headlights (courtesy of JAKD-UP)
    -285/70/17 BF Goodrich All Terrains (minimal rubbing still) :grrrrrr:
    -Blacked out grille and both bumpers
    -Smoked taillights
    -Blue interior dome lights

"A work in progress is something every man should have"

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynino View Post
    so im a complete newbie when it comes to audio... ive never done any system modifications so im clueless... i went to a local shop and they were talking to me about a probox which comes with 10'' subwoofers and a memphis amp installed for about 1000... is this a good deal or should i just buy a custom box, woofers, an amp and have it installed?

and what is a good reasonable price?

im not trying to disturb the peace or anything just want more bass

Depends on the sub and amp that they want to give you as far as price. 1000 sounds a little steep

Leadpan101 :great:
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    1996 Honda Accord

Shops are always gonna give you a steep price in my opinion. Its gonna be chepaer for you to look around on ebay for a for subs+sub boxes+ amps. Just depends what your looking for. If you want like a flush box to go under the back seat there are tons of them on ebay. Kicker even sells box's with subs already in them custom for trucks. Just check on ebay, i guarentee its cheaper then going to a car audio place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-07-09-CHE...d=p3286.c0.m14

Theres an example - 2 subs in a flush box for under the back seat, its only 360. Then you just get a good amp for them which is probably around 200 bucks and bam, great bass for about 500-600. Beats a grand at the audio shop!
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

i had seen them on ebay i was just curious really cuz a grand did seem like alot

so what amp do yall recommend? what brand?

Legend

It really depends on the level of sub, wattage of amp, also a custom shop can tune your box to what you listen to as well, not to mention they arent giving you just an off the shelf box, they are building it for you and this isnt gonna like some of the pieces of crap that you will find on ebay. With that price too i have to assume that is wiring it as well. If that is amp, sub, box, full wiring (top of line)and install then it really is reasonable.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Well its not a cheap box, its made by Kicker for their subs so its not like its going to fall apart. For an amp i would say JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine. Alpine makes great products all around(a friend has an alpine amp, and my deck is alpine). I have a Rockford amp for my subs, and my dad has a JL amp for his JL sub. They are all great, just make sure not go get a crappy no name brand. And again check ebay for them, you can get a way better deal then any store.

Oh and i'd say around 500 watts is plenty(forgot about that question). Its pretty much pointless to have more then that unless your trying to break windows and piss off your neighbors with your sound system

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    It really depends on the level of sub, wattage of amp, also a custom shop can tune your box to what you listen to as well, not to mention they arent giving you just an off the shelf box, they are building it for you and this isnt gonna like some of the pieces of crap that you will find on ebay. With that price too i have to assume that is wiring it as well. If that is amp, sub, box, full wiring (top of line)and install then it really is reasonable.
    yeah its everything including wiring and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Tdaz250 View Post
    Oh and i'd say around 500 watts is plenty(forgot about that question). Its pretty much pointless to have more then that unless your trying to break windows and piss off your neighbors with your sound system
    thank you... ill keep 500 in mind then... and no im not trying to break any windows or set off alarms

Heres a great amp - http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-MRP-M500-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Its an Alpine 500watt. A friend of mine has it in his jetta powering 2 12 inch subs. It makes his trunk rattle ALOT, tons of power. Great bang for the buck at only 150ish.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by