GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel problems

Default fuel problems

so i have a 1996 chevy suburban with a 350 vortech... im having proboems with the fuel i seem to not have gas in my fuel injectors we replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter, injector relay,and cleaned out most of the fuel lines... there is current to the injectors and we have gas all the way to the fuel pressure regulator but injectors are dry... would it be my fuel pressure regulator that is out and that be the reason i have no gas going to the fuel injectors???

Are you 100% sure that the FPR isn't plumbed backward?

And you are sure that the tops of the injectors are dry?

Does a noid light blink with the injector pulses?

its the original FPR. what happened is we stopped at the grocery store and no signs of problems came out and it didnt want to start at all we sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body it started then died out again.

ya the injectors and throttle body are really dry

as far as noid light i didnt get to check on the my dad had used just a regular tester to check if there was current

The way they work is there should always be 12 DC at the injectors but the computer provides a ground to the injectors in pulses timed to the valve openings. So the easiest way to check is with a $20 noid light.

I can't imagine the failure that would suddenly cause the fuel rail to drain and not refill so that the top of the injectors, the part that seals inside the fuel rail, are dry.

1st thing I'd probably do would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the system is generating the correct pressure (~60 psi).
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

i do have a noid light and will check that... its just weird and we cant figure it out we have asked around and everyone keeps giving us different opinons and all thats left is FPR which i will get a gauge and also check that

another question i have is when you turn the key do all injectors spray gas or does only one spray enough to start the motor?

Maybe I'm learning something new here, but isn't the 96 vortec a dry throttle body? I thought there were 8 injectors hidden under the intake plenum.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    Maybe I'm learning something new here, but isn't the 96 vortec a dry throttle body? I thought there were 8 injectors hidden under the intake plenum.
    ya they are hidden

i would check to see what your fuel pressure is at less then 58 psi is bad even tho it might run ideal is 60 for 96 to 99 classic's also check and see if your can hear the pump turning on when you turn the key to run but not starting might just be your relay burnt up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast