GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New brake lines?

I've seen alot of people say that just upgrading brake lines to 'braided brake lines' helps out/improves braking alot. Just wondering what the good brands are for these 'braided brake lines' and if anybody that has new brake lines could throw in how it helped out what which ones you have. Thanks!
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

summitracing has em several company's make em and there an a great help in the long run and firm up the brake pedal more ive got em and love em russell performance or earls are good brands

I have Russell's Brake lines and it has been a Very Solid Improvement over the stock OEM Brake Lines.

Here is the set I picked up from Summit Racing,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-672470/Application/?query=Year|1999|Make|CHEVROLET|Model|SILVERADO+15 00&prefilter=1

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Default Illegal?

What are illegal brake lines? i just ask cause the name on the link it says "street legal" Thanks for the link btw
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

Thanks for the link. I just came across this post and it happens to be something I was looking into a while back but never decided on where to go with it. A couple of my buddies who off road a lot said that upgrading the brake lines is a must.

-Greg

The fool learns not from the wise man, but the wise man from the fool.

2004 Silverado 4x4 (Suzie)
    6" Fabtech Suspension Lift
    35" NITTO Terra Grapplers
    18" MB Wheels Predators
    Thrush Turbo Series Mufflers
    on true dual exhaust
    Grille by Option Racing

1952 3600
    Finally getting torn down to the frame.

Legend

they are a great add-on, first they protect the line better, and second they stop the expansion of the line under braking. You can pick them up for a very reasonable price, so it has always made me wonder why they just dont come from the factory this way
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

The brakes are the one thing on a vehicle that the factory does not skimp on parts or part quality. The factory brake hoses are all you need and will last for years. Once the factory hoses go bad they will either start to seep and you can see this or they will burst through the inner hose which makes a bulge in the outer. Then they need replacing. This pertains to stock trucks.

Now if you lift your truck you will need longer hoses. If you change your exhaust you may need longer hoses or if you just like the look get the longer steel braded hoses. I have a set of Russel hoses on my Toyota which has a 4" lift and a 1" body lift. Th
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Tdaz250 View Post
    What are illegal brake lines? i just ask cause the name on the link it says "street legal" Thanks for the link btw
    Any lines that dont have a DOT stamp on them are illegal.
    Chances are nothing would ever go bad on an "illegal" set of lines but if it does, or if you get caught running them and have an accident even if the brakelines arent the cause you can still be fined very heavily and in some situations face jail time for using them.
    It isnt hard for a manufacturer to go through the certification process to legalize automotive parts so it doesnt make sense for them not to get items certified for public road use.
    The manufacturer has to supply a couple sets of the fininshed product, a statement of origin and use paperwork, and the testing fee's to DOT for testing.
    Most manufacturers dont want to certify parts for street use because they feel the cost return isnt enough or their simply to lazy. The off-highway segment sells enough parts to keep them happy.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Any lines that dont have a DOT stamp on them are illegal.
    Chances are nothing would ever go bad on an "illegal" set of lines but if it does, or if you get caught running them and have an accident even if the brakelines arent the cause you can still be fined very heavily and in some situations face jail time for using them.
    It isnt hard for a manufacturer to go through the certification process to legalize automotive parts so it doesnt make sense for them not to get items certified for public road use.
    The manufacturer has to supply a couple sets of the fininshed product, a statement of origin and use paperwork, and the testing fee's to DOT for testing.
    Most manufacturers dont want to certify parts for street use because they feel the cost return isnt enough or their simply to lazy. The off-highway segment sells enough parts to keep them happy.
    Great advice Tim!
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Cool New Brake lines

I replaced my lines with Russel DOT lines when I lifted my truck and I like em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast