GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default instrument cluster

just bought a 2004 silverado 2500hd w/ 6.0l. with 90k.

the guages tend to be acting goofy, airbag light is stuck on, trans. temp 300+ (even when cold), tach is about 1000rpm off, and today the service brakes light came on. the truck runs great and was maintained very well. carfax report had all the service records from 2004 down the every oil change.

i noticed that there was a recall in 2007 for 2003-04 gm trucks because of faulty instrument clusters and i would like to know if that is likely what is wrong and/or if it something simple. otherwise if it is the cluster about how much do they run for? thx

Quote Originally Posted by Peckens View Post
    just bought a 2004 silverado 2500hd w/ 6.0l. with 90k.

the guages tend to be acting goofy, airbag light is stuck on, trans. temp 300+ (even when cold), tach is about 1000rpm off, and today the service brakes light came on. the truck runs great and was maintained very well. carfax report had all the service records from 2004 down the every oil change.

i noticed that there was a recall in 2007 for 2003-04 gm trucks because of faulty instrument clusters and i would like to know if that is likely what is wrong and/or if it something simple. otherwise if it is the cluster about how much do they run for? thx
    From what you have mentioned,I would contact the dealer to see if your Cluster falls under the recall.I think it is 7yrs and I can't Remember how many miles,from the date the truck went into service.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I would get the truck scanned to be safe. If there are no codes you know for sure the cluster is bad. You may also have a bad cluster and a code. The codes are going to overrule the idiot lights.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

took it down to orielly. they scanned it and cleared it. apparently there was a code for the o2 sensor and knocks but know idea when they were so we cleared it. the abs light turned off on restart and has not come on yet.

found a guy on ebay that repairs them and gives a warranty, im gonna send it to him and get the escalade face while im at it haha. better than taking it to the dealer and spending 800 bucks and probably having more problems

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Peckens View Post
    found a guy on ebay that repairs them and gives a warranty, im gonna send it to him and get the escalade face while im at it haha. better than taking it to the dealer and spending 800 bucks and probably having more problems
    I had a similar problem on my '04 and instead of sending it out, I just bought new stepper motors for my gauges and swapped the motors. $45 for all the motos and a about 2 hours of labor. As long as you can handle a soldering iron, you're good.

Worked great!

Blog Entries

the stepper motor has gone out, the thing that controls the needles.

im not really sure about the airbaglight.

ebay is the way to go to get a new cluster, or the stealer ship will steal you for 400-500 plus labor.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

There was no recall on the clusters, but there was a speical provision. I just bought a 04 silverado a couple weeks back and the tach was not working, so I figured what the heck I'll see what the dealership says. He looked it up and founf the special provision. The truck can't be more than 7 years old or exceed 70k miles. Fortunatly I only had 68, 885 miles and they replaced the whole cluster free of charge, and now it's warrented for 12 months or 12k miles. Being your at 90k with your truck, sounds like buying a stepper motor of ebay is the way to go, that's what always goes out. Good luck.
    2004 1500 silverado 4x4
    2003 BMW 325i
    04 Harley Davidson Ultrea Classic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whatzleft View Post
    There was no recall on the clusters, but there was a speical provision. I just bought a 04 silverado a couple weeks back and the tach was not working, so I figured what the heck I'll see what the dealership says. He looked it up and founf the special provision. The truck can't be more than 7 years old or exceed 70k miles. Fortunatly I only had 68, 885 miles and they replaced the whole cluster free of charge, and now it's warrented for 12 months or 12k miles. Being your at 90k with your truck, sounds like buying a stepper motor of ebay is the way to go, that's what always goes out. Good luck.
    i agree bro, i would rather buy a whole new cluster, so you dont have to deal with calliberating the needles and you also have to know how to solder.

got the thing ripped out yesterday and im gonna mail it in to that guy on ebay and have him put the escalade face on it too lol