GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Problems with power locks

Hello everyone,

I own a 1990 R2500 GMC Suburban and I am having issues with the power locks. Sometimes the power locks work and sometimes they don't. Currently, I cannot even open the doors from the outside using the key (I am locked out). Any thoughts regarding the possible causes of the problem? I am also having issues with the power windows. Windows go up and down very very slow. Any thoughts on this issues? Thank you all for your sound advice.

Regards,
    Eric
    1990 GMC V2500 5.7 ltrs & 158K miles

The locks is most likely a relay. Most vehicles have a master relay located in the driver side door. If it happened to me that is where I would Start.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

ON THE K5 I FOUND THE WINDOW SWITCH HAD COME APART INTERNAL AND THE PLASTIC WASNT TIGHT ENOUGH TO FULLY ACTUATE THE SWITCH. I FOUND THAT AFTER IT CAME APART THEN I REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR WITH THE HIGHER OUTPUT AND THE WINDOWS WORKED FASTERI TOO HAVE INTERMNITTEN LOCK ISSUES... I THINK IT COMES WITH THE VINTAGE...

My 1991 had the same problem with the slow windows. As mentioned, probably with the vintage. I imagine replacing the motor with a new unit might help.

But its one of those things, do you worry about something that is still functioning? My 91 was pretty reliable, but it seemed I was always chasing something more important, like dead light bulbs, or just general maintenance.

Just purchased 90' Burban & all windows move slow, drivers the worst. Power door locks unlock but wont lock. I was thinking of checking & cleaning all connections Especially all the grounds.
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

Jr. Apprentice

My 1999 Suburban door locks came to a crawl, and both front doors would not fully lock or unlock. I started by inspecting the door lock motors, which were very worn. I also noticed that the wiring on all four doors was corroded-this is evidenced by the bare wire being dark instead of bright copper; the next level of corrosion would be indicated by a green coating on the wires. The corrosion will restrict current flow, but I felt that the worn motors were the real culprit. I replaced each motor with an aftermarket one and they have worked flawlessly since then. I don't intend to keep the truck long enough to replace the wiring.

Default I had the same problem in my 08 Hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by marge1990 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I own a 1990 R2500 GMC Suburban and I am having issues with the power locks. Sometimes the power locks work and sometimes they don't. Currently, I cannot even open the doors from the outside using the key (I am locked out). Any thoughts regarding the possible causes of the problem? I am also having issues with the power windows. Windows go up and down very very slow. Any thoughts on this issues? Thank you all for your sound advice.

Regards,
    Eric

Only in one door, and they replaced it under warranty. I think it was an actuator that was faulty. Then again, with electric parts, it is typically cheaper to replace than troubleshoot, so that may not have been the issue.

YMMV>

I,m with sfarris, Do the drivers door and check connections at the relay and replace the window motor while your there, and see what happens. I have a several around that year and from what I remember the are known for switches and relays and motors all being less than long lasting. Its a cheap enough swap. If it works good do the other doors if not chase something else, but I think its just old and tired.
    The diference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits.

2007 NBS Silverado
    LT2 Z71
    2.5" Levelling Kit
    Hood Stripes
    Chrome Grill
    GM Bed Liner & Tonno
    Dick Cepek Rims 18X9
    Hankook RF10 Tires 275/65/18
    De-Badged Tailgate

More Mods Coming

Sr. Apprentice

Just wanted to add my lock fun to this thread...

I have an 85 that will no longer lock with the electric locks on the driver side rear.

Also have an 89 that has become "sluggish" at the same door. Not enough of a problem for me to worry about! Good luck with yours!!!!!

Oh, and the barn doors on the 89 don't lock with the electric locks...

And the back window on my 85 doesn't like it's "tailgate closed" sensor...it won't close half the time.
    '95 1/2 ton Suburban 4wd 350, 140K, w/ tornado and k&n filter | everything else stock

'89 1/2 ton Suburban 2wd 350, 200+K, completely stock except 31 x10.50 tires & 40 series flowmaster

'85 1/2 ton Suburban 2wd 350, 250+K, burnt valve :lol: , edelbrock 50 carb, comp cam, silvolite pistons, HiPerf distributor, 18" glasspacks

Exclamation Electric windows and door locks

I've had the same issues as all of the above posts describe and have had to do all of the same repairs to get my windows and locks to function to my satisfaction. I'd like to add one other thing that you might want to check while you R& R those door locks and window switches that is likely to be overlooked and is also a contibuting factor.
    While you have the door panel off, you might want to check the inner and outer window seals. On our 19/20 year old burbs they sometimes are dried up, cracked or dirty and not making the proper seal. Water and other contaminants may get into the door, more frequeuently and in greater amounts, and affect electrical connections and drive moters as well as rusting out the bottom of the door if the "weep" holes are clogged.
    I live in the Great Pacific Northwest and have found parts of leaves and nettles when repairing or doing mods to the doors. If you are like me you want to keep your burb and only do a repair once; check the seals and replace then if necessary. They are cheap and it will save you some grief later.
    Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by