GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: stereo power

Default stereo power

Hello I have an 08 Silverado LS with the upgraded stereo with the UQ3 enhanced speakers and US8 stereo CD MP3 player the speakers dont sound to bad the stereo will just not get very loud I want to keep the XM and other feautures can you just hook an amplifier up or what changes need to be made.
    Thanks
    Robert

Fast is fine, accuracy is final.
    Wyatt Earp Deputy US Marshal

You could add an amp all you need is a high-low level adapter and you can do it that way, i would get a four channel and amplify the front doors with two channels and then add a single sub in the cab and bridge the back channels for bass, its a clean overall sound and the best bang for your buck alot of people do that at our shop and love the way it sounds.
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

or get an amp with speaker level inputs

Legend

Your gonna have to deal with the no power, that is integrated into the stock head unit. GM does that to save on over driven speakers. Even the supposed great Bose system with the subwoofer has that in it as well. Every new GM truck since the NBS trucks and SUVs came out in 07 that I have been have this if they have factory audio gear. this is why I say save your money and buy aftermarket.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Going aftermarket is the best but LAN harnesses ain't cheap and then u hafta but steering wheel controls etc.......if you want to save money and don't want to change take my advice, and the only problem with an amp with hi low level inputs is running the leads a long distance and tagging leads off the back doors is kinda ghetto but only in my opinion I like running the adapter behind the radio because in the event that u do change the stock deck most of the stuff is rgut there, I call it thinking ahead cause I learned the hard way over the years