GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Tahoe Q's

Default Tahoe Q's

Hello all. I'm considering getting a used early to mid 2000ís 4wd Tahoe/Yukon and have a few questions about them.

For those of you that have the 4800, how well does it perform?? I'm finding many of the vehicles in my price range come with the 4800. I know they still have 285hp but the Tahoe is pretty heavy. In addition to performance, does it have any significant advantages in fuel economy over the 5300? In the past, Iíve found that trucks with the smaller engine option usually donít get any better economy since they have to work harder.

What kind of mileage to you all get?? I currently have 95 Grand Marquis that usually gets only 16-17 mpg city so Iím used to somewhat low mpgís.

Can the 2nd row seats be removed?? Iíve been searching car ads online and havenít found a single one with a pic of the back showing ALL the seats out.

Any annoying consistent problems with the era I mentioned above? For example. alignment/front end issues, chronic oil/coolant leaks, bad axles, etc? I am aware of the ďpiston slapĒ thing. Is that very common??? How do the trannyís and 4wd equipment hold up? Any corrosion trouble areas? (I live in salt city, lol)

Thanks and sorry for all the dumb noob questions!!

Anyone??

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in the Florida Panhandle, so far out that we are in the Central Time Zone

Default Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I have a lot of association with that era Ta/Yuks. I had an '04 Tahoe. I have a son with an '01 Tahoe, and another son with '05 Yukon. All of these have the 5.3 liter, so I can't comment on the 4.8.

As far as taking the second row seat out, I have not seen it done, but as far as I know, it should be fairly easy to do. This will leave a big dip in the floor where the seat was.

Mileage with the 5.3's is around 16 city and 19 highway with sane driving. The 4.8 should do at least this well.

I don't know of any chronic maintenance issues with these vehicle. The ones that I am intimate with have 130,000, 70,000, and 60,000 miles on them. All three of these are two wheel drive. None have had any transmission work. I also have a 2005 Yukon XL four wheel drive with 75,000 miles on it. It has not had any front transfer case issues.

Overall, these are really fine vehicles. Best of luck in finding the right one for you.
    Brian McCabe
    Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
    '05 Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
    '11 Silverado 3500

I have a 5.3 01 tahoe and I thought it had the 285 and the 4.8 had the 270ish hp but maybe I am wrong. Anyway, no chronic leaks or alignment problems or anything to report from me. My Tahoe has been absolutely flawless except for the keyless remote and I had what sounded like liquid sloshing under my dash for short time but its gone. (ps, mine is 4x4 and is for sale for $10,500)

Current GM Truck
    2001 Red Tahoe LT 4X4 with 22" rims

Previous GM's
    1996 Z28 Convertible 6M
    1995 Z28 Auto
    1995 Reg Cab Silverado 1500

No troubles here 02 with 113000 miles 8000 or so have been off road pulling each other out of some nasty stuff
    2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 33's Dick Cepek's Mud Country,3" Rough Country Lift,Black Ultra's 17" wheels,Alpine/Kicker audio system,K&N Cold air intake to much more to list !