GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Angry transmission problem ?

I just came back from LAX, while driving back to vegas the weather was nice and I opened the window, a terrible smell came in, I thought it was outside and about 10 minutes later the smell was gone so I didn't worry the truck was driving fine. I got home, open the door and sure enough it smelled the same( not coolant smell and not oil smell, the fluid is kind of "clear"), I look under the truck and there is some fluid all over the bottom of the truck, even a little inside the rear fender. the last few miles, when the truck was shifting from 1st gear to 2nd, it was giving a big kick..... I let the truck cool down for about 40 minutes, drove it arround and now it shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd. I check the trans fluid on the stick in the engine compartment and its full.

what could be my problem ?
    Last edited by loic; 08-23-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: ...

Quote Originally Posted by loic View Post
    I just came back from LAX, while driving back to vegas the weather was nice and I opened the window, a terrible smell came in, I thought it was outside and about 10 minutes later the smell was gone so I didn't worry the truck was driving fine. I got home, open the door and sure enough it smelled the same( not coolant smell and not oil smell, the fluid is kind of "clear"), I look under the truck and there is some fluid all over the bottom of the truck, even a little inside the rear fender. the last few miles, when the truck was shifting from 1st gear to 2nd, it was giving a big kick..... I let the truck cool down for about 40 minutes, drove it arround and now it shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd. I check the trans fluid on the stick in the engine compartment and its full.

what could be my problem ?

Get the truck warm and let it idle in Park. Turn off the engine and quickly check the oil. It may be low and splashing up onto the stick.

Next get the trouble codes. When it shifted hard that tells me it went into failsafe and set a code.

What probably happened is you lost lock up and the fluid got hot. When this happens it will vent out and splash all over the bottom of the truck.

Also check the transfer case. If you park on a hill the oil may have run out of the transfer case and into the trans overfilling it.

The codes will be very helpful determining the root problem.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

ok, i'll do that. i am at work today but should finish by 4 pm.i'll post the code. if it's just low on trans fluid, which one i need and where do you fill it up? i also had the service engine soon light that came on during the trip but i would think it's just a coincidence.

ok, i'll do that. i am at work today but should finish by 4 pm.i'll post the code. if it's just low on trans fluid, which one i need and where do you fill it up? i also had the service engine soon light that came on during the trip but i would think it's just a coincidence.
    You add the fluid through the dip stick tube where you check the oil. Use any good Dextron oil. The check engine light that came on during your trip was not a coincidence. The light came on because the fluid was getting hot.

oh.. i thought the service engine soon was just a "reminder" and not a " check engine" as of a problem.

oh.. i thought the service engine soon was just a "reminder" and not a " check engine" as of a problem.
    Sometimes that light will illuminate when a problem is first seen by the PCM. Then if the problem continues the check engine light comes on and stay on. Anytime either light comes on check for codes.

should i drain and replace with fresh transmission fluid knowing that it " overheat" ?if so, where is the drain bolt located, and how many quart will be needed?

should i drain and replace with fresh transmission fluid knowing that it " overheat" ?if so, where is the drain bolt located, and how many quart will be needed?
    The fluid and filter are changed by removing the pan. Before you do anything check it and get the codes.

ok !

here are the codes:
    P1870 Trans component slipping
    P0161 02 heater circuit (bank2 sensor 2)
    P0141 02 heater circuit (bank1, sensor 2)

and by the way, the fluid on the stick stink like crazy..

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by