GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=stchman;569147]Why would you want to disable the DRLs?

You ask why? Well in America the answer is "Because We Can", that's Why....
    JMoney02

2. Likes zuki82 liked this post

Plus, the fact that its illegal in many places

[B]1997 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    Why would you want to disable the DRLs?

People appear to make up reasons to hate DRLs. About the only valid reason I've heard to disable DRLs was from @Cowpie as he drives on his farm and does not want to take a chance on spooking his livestock. Pretty much all the other reasons are on the order of "just cause".
    I don't get it either. But, to each his own. It is not that I like DRLs, but I do not dislike them. I think that they help keep people safe. I don't know how many times in poor driving condition that I have only been able to see another vehicle because it had drls on. I have to say that it is pretty often. I guess that if for some reason you are driving around with your headlights off and want to be undetected then you would have to disable them.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I agree with @Pikey DRLs make it much easier on a cloudy, foggy or rainy day to see other cars and for them to see you. The DRL system in my 96' Tahoe has never worked since I've owned it, but I counter that by driving with my headlights on all the time because I rather be seen in any situation to possibly prevent an accident. To be honest I just learned that GM was the company that brought DRLs to the US because they didn't want to have 2 different headlight wiring systems for American and Canadian vehicles. They yearly send a petition to the DOT and NHTSA to make DRL mandated on all vehicles. They also got DRLs legalized in the US so they could follow both Canadian laws and US laws.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    I agree with @Pikey DRLs make it much easier on a cloudy, foggy or rainy day to see other cars and for them to see you. The DRL system in my 96' Tahoe has never worked since I've owned it, but I counter that by driving with my headlights on all the time because I rather be seen in any situation to possibly prevent an accident. To be honest I just learned that GM was the company that brought DRLs to the US because they didn't want to have 2 different headlight wiring systems for American and Canadian vehicles. They yearly send a petition to the DOT and NHTSA to make DRL mandated on all vehicles. They also got DRLs legalized in the US so they could follow both Canadian laws and US laws.
    I remember those dumb saturn commercials when gm introduced the drls on those. Everyone would flag the saturn down and tell them that their headlights were on.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by JMoney02 View Post
    You ask why? Well in America the answer is "Because We Can", that's Why....
    I guess that's as good a reason as any.

Quote Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
    Plus, the fact that its illegal in many places
    DRLs are illegal? I am not aware of where they are. GM sells cars in all 50 states and DRLs are standard. So is GM selling illegal vehicles?

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I guess that's as good a reason as any.

DRLs are illegal? I am not aware of where they are. GM sells cars in all 50 states and DRLs are standard. So is GM selling illegal vehicles?
    Sorry...I was saying that disabling them is illegal in many places

[B]1997 GMC

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

BUT - why then can I turn my switch for the controls of my Light system down to turn off my DRL's if it's illegal? Just asking.....
    JMoney02

they are not federally mandated, so therefor they can be turned off. Apparently, there is a whole lot of people that don't like them

http://www.lightsout.org/faqs.html

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Why would you want to disable the DRLs?
    I like to be able to flash my lights during the day as a signal to drivers (it's ok to merge, go ahead you have the right of way at a 4 way, you are approaching a speed trap etc....)

Can you just "make" the switch at the park brake pedal that turns off the lights without causing the brake light to come on or is it the same circuit? TIA....Al

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast