GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem

Jr. Engineer

Default Problem

I was wondering if anybody has this problem. well first i have a 97 silverado and one day after i bought it i hit the light switch and broke it clean off. So i had it replaced and it work for a year. Now when i turn my lights on at night they will stay on for a while. Then for some reason it will kick back into day time runing lights. Then when it does that i have no HIgh Beams. So i was wondering if i need to replace the whole unit again or is there something that i can do. Thanks in advance

How on earth did you break that rotary switch? Sounds like you may need a switch, but pull the dash first and make sure the connector is tight on the switch.

When the DRLs come on, they are actually high beams, at a reduced voltage. So you can't see very well, yet you are still blinding oncoming traffic.

And, when the DRLs come on, you are probably losing your marker/taillights too. Which makes you almost impossible to be seen from the side/rear.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    How on earth did you break that rotary switch? Sounds like you may need a switch, but pull the dash first and make sure the connector is tight on the switch.

When the DRLs come on, they are actually high beams, at a reduced voltage. So you can't see very well, yet you are still blinding oncoming traffic.

And, when the DRLs come on, you are probably losing your marker/taillights too. Which makes you almost impossible to be seen from the side/rear.

Yeah that another thing the taillights go byby. I just read another thread that people were pulling the fuse to stop there drl from coming on. I was wondering if that would solvve it. and i wanted to everything possible first before i try to take the hole swicth out. Because the guy said that put it in for me that he had to drop the whole dash.

I wouldn't pull the DRL fuse at this point. You might be left rolling down the highway and lose everything.

That dash is super simple to pull off. Literally just grab the edges of it and pull. I did it when I put in my new Alpine.

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by 2COR517 View Post
    I wouldn't pull the DRL fuse at this point. You might be left rolling down the highway and lose everything.

That dash is super simple to pull off. Literally just grab the edges of it and pull. I did it when I put in my new Alpine.

So pull it and see if there is lose wires. So you are saying just pull the srounding around the swithc.

You can see a break from where the "Face" of the dash wraps around to the side/top. Get your fingers in there and wiggle and pull. There's a harness with a bunch of wires connected to that switch. It's possible your buddy broke the clip that holds it on, and it's loose.

I just looked at Autozone's site, the switch is $50. Not cheap, for sure.

If you end up needing a switch I have an extra one, I'll make you a better deal than autozone.
    1997 Chevy K3500
    4x4 X-Cab Dually
    454 Dual Exhaust

Jr. Engineer

Thanks guy might give er a try today

Jr. Engineer

Well the dash is out and the switch. Guess it time to buy a new one.

Jr. Engineer

Well guys i am back again. Replace the switch with a brand new one from classic parts of america. Back when i first post this thread now i have the same problem going back to daytime running light when i am going the light on. What should i do now any suggestions !!!!!! Need help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast