GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can someone help me identify this truck?

Okay, my girlfriend has an old GMC 1500 sitting at her place. It's a regular cab regular box 89-99 body style, 4x4 on the floor with an automatic transmission, I can't find out the year of this truck, i looked in the truck for numbers on the door, seatbelt, a manual. But unable to find anything to tell me. I pop the hood expecting a 350, but the truck has a little small block v6, 4.3l it looks like, i only took a quick 5 minutes to look at it in the dark tonight. But i'm looking at buying it from them to drive around as a daily driver so i don't put any more kilometers on my truck. There's a few things wrong with the truck, supposedly there is a slight ping at 80km/h and only at that speed. And it leaks oil. I'll probably check it out more in detail tomorrow to see exactly what's up with this truck. Hey, I'll pay $100 to keep my truck from getting kilometers on it.

Also, how hard would it be to swap out this v6 small block tranny and transfer case for a 1997's 350 5.7l with tranny and transfer case? Would the old transmission fit the 350? i would really like to keep the 4 on the floor, i really like having that.
    Edit:
    Looks like this truck, this body style and this grill. automatic transmission v6 4x4. I've never seen or heard of one before...

Last edited by ippielb; 08-23-2009 at 03:54 AM.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in the Florida Panhandle, so far out that we are in the Central Time Zone

You should be able to determine the model year from the VIN.
    Brian McCabe
    Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
    '05 Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
    '11 Silverado 3500

Jr. Engineer

BY looking it looks like a 95 work truck to me with four wheel drive.

Default Hmmm

Work truck hmmm what kind and year did they make those
    TM4HAMMER1 !!
    96 SUBURBAN LS 7.4 L
    BIGBLACKBURB!!
    :slap:

The VIN will tell you all you need to know. You could Carfax the VIN and get the history also. If you know anyone who works at a dealership or used car lot they can get you a Carfax for free.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

The year should also be on the registration or title. If they don't have the title, I would not buy it!
    92 GMC Sierra 2500

Swapping in the 97 350 is going to be a job. It's a vortec. I wouldn't tackle it unless I had the entire donor truck to work with.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Blog Entries

looks like a 95+ but, the grill confuses me. since the 89-94 had a sorta flat grill.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

It turned out to be a 1993, with a 305, said my girlfriends dad
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

if you look at the VIN reading from right to left the 8th digit will tell you the year. 93 should = Q. 94=R. 95=S. 96=T. Etc. But that is America. I'd take it to a dealership for a full check up

S.BELFORD

2009 Silverado LT1: All Star Edition
    5.3 Liter V8 4x4

Factory:
    Locking Rear Differential
    3.73 Rear Axle
    Fog Lamps
    Factory Remote Start
    Locking Tailgate
    20" Wheels

Aftermarket:
    Rear Wheel House Liners