GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Wax?

Default Wax?

Can anyone reccomend a good wax? I use to use Mother's years ago, got out of doing my own detailing due to lack of time. I want to get back into it, but want to know if there have been any new products that are good and easy to use...else I can go back to ole faithful!
    08 Colorado Z71
    95 GMC 2500 Ex Cab
    87 BMW 325is
    04 BMW 325xi (wifey)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyl9 View Post
    Can anyone reccomend a good wax? I use to use Mother's years ago, got out of doing my own detailing due to lack of time. I want to get back into it, but want to know if there have been any new products that are good and easy to use...else I can go back to ole faithful!

The Mother's clay bar system is very good and you will be pleased with the results. It's a little extra work using the clay bar but it gets the paint clean before applying the wax. This makes the job look better and last longer.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Blog Entries

Yeah just go back to old faithful mothers. Never used a wax that stood up to the mothers' performance.

2003 Silverado 1500
    V8 4.8L 294ci
    2 inch Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    3 inch Rough Country Lift
    33 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers
    5% Tint All Around
    2 12" Kenwoods

Jr. Engineer

I would hit it with some adams clay and detail spray. IF you are doing it by hand then hit it with Adams revive polish mixed with a little swirl and haze remover. Then i would hit it with the Adams americana paste wax. and if you dont want to spend that much but bet me its worth then i would hit it with the butter wax. The ticket is to get two to three lights coats. Then after that i would hit everything you crome windows and pain with adams brilliant spray glaze. And you dont have to do all these step if you dont want to. you can just put the wax on. But the result will be better. And Mothers wont stand a chance.

Has anyone tried "Ice" wax. They make a clay bar kit as well. They claim it leaves no white residue and since I have a black truck this is a big deal to me. It seems like no matter how careful I am removing the wax, the next day I always end up with white residue in the more hard to get places.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Blog Entries

Never heard of that, might check it out though when I go to wax my truck next. The no residue thing sounds like a seller to me

If I remember right it is made by turtle wax. I saw it at Walmart, it looks to cost about the same as Mothers.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I bought that Turtle Wax "Ice Wax" when it first came out, and honestly I hated it. I used it on my dark blue S-10, and yes it's nice not to have the white residue but at the same time it's not. It dries clear so you can't tell where you have gone over, and I felt like I forgot to wax half of the truck due to this. I ended up going over it with regular wax that I could see dry on the paint.

I have always used truckers wax or Finish 2001 which is really good application and removal wise. My friend just waxed his truck with Zymol, and I was super impressed with it's shine. I will be buying that for my truck from now on, it is a liquid paste and not a rubbing compound so it's easy to take off.

go to and check out the voodo line of car care products. It is some good stuff.
    08 silverado
    K&N cai
    single in dual out cherry bomb pro
    leveling kit
    custom painted bow ties
    Bed liner
    Tinted windows
    20inch Cruser Alloy Switchblades
    Goodyear Eagle GT2 285/50/20
    1 truly heavy foot + Wait4meperformance SCT Handheld
    100 shot of Nitrous Dyno tune system
    SS front bumper
    Matching painted front grill and bow ties

Default Meguires!

I love meguires. I have alot of their products and i'd say their clay bar kit + the tech wax 2.0(its purple) is awesome. I waxed + claybared back in like feb. and its still feels great. Not to dis mothers but i thought that the mothers clay bar kit was not as good as the meguires(i bought both, used the meguires on my truck, mothers on my moms BMW and I think the meguires just did a better job getting all the gunk off of the paint)
    2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 - 4x4

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by