GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wax?

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in the Florida Panhandle, so far out that we are in the Central Time Zone

I use Dri Wash 'n Guard exclusively for the past 25 years. It is not a wax, and can be used without washing the vehicle. It is not a wax, but leaves the finish super slick. The resultant finish is so slick that the love bugs pop right off. I do a treatment to the front of the truck before any road trip during love bug season.
    Brian McCabe
    Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
    '05 Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
    '11 Silverado 3500

here are some good resources for you.

www.autogeek.net

www.autopia.org

I buy all my detail supplies from autogeek I use for the most part the Poorboys line of waxes they work well for me ( I hate the smell of regular wax and when you detail for several hours the smell gets to me Poorboys products smell like bubblegum, don't eat it though!) but there are many good brands. Mothers, Meguiars, Pinnacle, Adams, Zymol. The list is endless find a product you like and use it often.

Canislupis your truck looks awesome whatever you are doing keep up the good work.

If you really want to see a difference though buy random orbital polisher a Porter Cable 7424 or a
    Flex xc 3401, if you get real aggresive by pushing to hard the pad will stop spinning and you wont damage your paint, until you practice stay away from a rotary they make alot of power and the pad will not stop spinning so you have to keep it moving. Keep in mind though that a rotary can make short work of scratches and swirl marks with a random it is alot more work but you can still get good results here is a picture of my truck after I detailed it. Any detail questions I will be glad to try and help you guys out.
    Robert

(keep in mind in the picture I am standing back 12-15 feet and you can still see my reflection in the paint!)
    Last edited by rmagni; 08-26-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final.
    Wyatt Earp Deputy US Marshal

i use turtle wax dont remember which one

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Quote Originally Posted by 97chevz71 View Post
    I would hit it with some adams clay and detail spray. IF you are doing it by hand then hit it with Adams revive polish mixed with a little swirl and haze remover. Then i would hit it with the Adams americana paste wax. and if you dont want to spend that much but bet me its worth then i would hit it with the butter wax. The ticket is to get two to three lights coats. Then after that i would hit everything you crome windows and pain with adams brilliant spray glaze. And you dont have to do all these step if you dont want to. you can just put the wax on. But the result will be better. And Mothers wont stand a chance.

I have always been tied between Adams and Smartwax, they are both amazing but the Adams VRT is the best rubber and plastic shinner ever! No matter what how much you use ,never greasy and doesn't fling on body sides AT ALL, so i will have to say im 65 percent adams and 35 percent smartwax!
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

i just waxed my truck with eagle one's nano wax (mainly because i got it extremely cheap and something new to try) and i was very impressed with it. the shine was just as good as before when i used turtle wax IMO. i washed down the truck first and then applied it with a microfiber cloth.

2007 Silverado Crew Cab
    5.3 L Vortec V8
    LT1 Package
    Driver Information Center (from gmpartsclub.com)
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    6000k HID DDMTuning Kit
    LED tailgate bar 3rd brake light
    LED lights for foot wells
    LED Side Bars
    LED Headlight Accents
    Husky Mud Guards

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post

The Mother's clay bar system is very good and you will be pleased with the results. It's a little extra work using the clay bar but it gets the paint clean before applying the wax. This makes the job look better and last longer.

I agree 100000000000%! because I just used McGuire's Claybar and wax on my truck today!

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L EC/Std Bed 4x4 Flexfuel
    Full Metal Jacket Spray on Bed Liner
    Black Powder coat Diamond Plate Weatherguard Tool Box
    Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust System
    K&N Flat Panel OEM replacement Air Filter
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires P275/55/R20
    Black Reflective pinstripe and VORTEC hood lettering
    Billet front bowtie
    Rear Bowtie Delete
    Blue strobe grille lights
    Blue strobe rear window lights
    Blue LED Mini Light bar in front Grille

Turtle Wax ICE products also work very well!

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L EC/Std Bed 4x4 Flexfuel
    Full Metal Jacket Spray on Bed Liner
    Black Powder coat Diamond Plate Weatherguard Tool Box
    Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust System
    K&N Flat Panel OEM replacement Air Filter
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires P275/55/R20
    Black Reflective pinstripe and VORTEC hood lettering
    Billet front bowtie
    Rear Bowtie Delete
    Blue strobe grille lights
    Blue strobe rear window lights
    Blue LED Mini Light bar in front Grille

i hated the ice products, i am a big fan of Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 the results are awesome!!
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

Quote Originally Posted by canislupis69 View Post
    Has anyone tried "Ice" wax. They make a clay bar kit as well. They claim it leaves no white residue and since I have a black truck this is a big deal to me. It seems like no matter how careful I am removing the wax, the next day I always end up with white residue in the more hard to get places.
    Buy a detail brush, looks like a 2" wide normal paint brush that has bristles only 1/4" long.
    It is soft and wont scratch paint or wax, but will get into tight seams and remove all that white stuff.

I also wanted to say to try a pure carnuba wax, very hard wax, made from a plant from Brazil, so it is plant based as opposed to petroleum based.

Final tip, NEVER use dish soap to wash your truck, all petro based (oil based) waxes will just dissolve and wash off. I use Mothers car wash, it is non detergent, and all your work will last.
    nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Buy a detail brush, looks like a 2" wide normal paint brush that has bristles only 1/4" long.
    It is soft and wont scratch paint or wax, but will get into tight seams and remove all that white stuff.

I also wanted to say to try a pure carnuba wax, very hard wax, made from a plant from Brazil, so it is plant based as opposed to petroleum based.

Final tip, NEVER use dish soap to wash your truck, all petro based (oil based) waxes will just dissolve and wash off. I use Mothers car wash, it is non detergent, and all your work will last.
    nuff said
    If the brush does not work try a mr clean bar with rubbing alcohol on it, if the part is grainy plastic the alcohol will help disolve the wax, even though it is a pain I tape off all the plastic black parts and other places I dont want wax to go. But i machine polish though.
    Robert

Fast is fine, accuracy is final.
    Wyatt Earp Deputy US Marshal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast