GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Wax?

Quote Originally Posted by vms4evr View Post
    My sentiments exacly. Don't WAX, use a POLYMER. It last longer, shines deeper, and protects better. I've tried most things and moved on to Zaino. The first setup takes some effort. Then it is maintenance after. The cost is actually not as bad as you think. I bought a $90 kit that has everything. Clay bar, 3 types of polishes, car wash, leather cleaner, conditiioner, tire shine, excelerator, polishing pads. I've done my Vette, my wife's Monte, now the truck and have plenty left. You don't have to reapply but every 3-6 months. Just use their car wash and spritzer to maintain it. Or throw on a quick coat of it once in a while. You are supposed to spread that stuff thin, and I mean thin. I expect it to last me about 3 years for at least 3 vehicles. That's cheap. The shine is amazing. Go look in the Chevy Corvette section or my garage. I posted pics of my Z06. That is a Zaino shine.
    Thanks for the info big buddy can you let me know the number of the kit im really want to get it and try it out on the impala and show the truck some love too. also im so jealous you got a vette thats my dream car .

If you don't have a lot of time and want something easy that also doesn't cost a lot of money, the Mothers PowerBall 4Paint and the FX SynWax is a great way to go if you have a cordless drill already. You work it slow on the surface and it applies wax evenly and thorougly and swirl-free. You can get it at most auto parts stores as well as Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    For years I have used turtle wax products, and now I use there ICE line-up, I really like it. However, before October comes around i am gonna use the Mothers Clay Bar system and do a full Mothers job on the Beast.
    i have detailed a few vehicles for myself and my dad. i used mothers clay kit and loved it, but i cant find it anymore. a friend used turtle wax ice and he said it worked great so i bought it.... SUPER SUPER AWFUL MISTAKE! i cannot express how much that stuff sucks. i was so disgusted by ther results, that i washed it again, clayed it again, polished it, and went and bought meguires nxt gen techwax 2.0. what a difference it made too. i mean o my god, it looked brand new. i will NEVER EVER recommend turtle wax ice to any one.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Sr. Mechanic
    Blog Entries

I would stick with Mother's brands. They have been around a long time and have perfected what they do. I use Mothers on everything. I've tried numerous waxes. I've tried the sray wax...which is a total failure. The paste is good because you use less. If you use the spray, it might take you 3/4 of a bottle to do your ride.
    2007 Chevy Silverado
    5.3L Vortec V8
    Black Crewcab
    Chrome tow hooks
    Chrome side view mirror caps
    Stainless steel GM tie down hooks
    Flowmaster turbo with Silverline tips (Dual Exhaust)
    Back Wheel house liner
    Chrome door handles
    Chrome Chevy bowties front and back

Sr. Mechanic

Try out the DWG line of products! I have been detailing with them since 1995 and they are fantastic!

www.dwgint.com You must try to appreciate the ease of use and quality !
    Be Blessed

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    i have detailed a few vehicles for myself and my dad. i used mothers clay kit and loved it, but i cant find it anymore. a friend used turtle wax ice and he said it worked great so i bought it.... SUPER SUPER AWFUL MISTAKE! i cannot express how much that stuff sucks. i was so disgusted by ther results, that i washed it again, clayed it again, polished it, and went and bought meguires nxt gen techwax 2.0. what a difference it made too. i mean o my god, it looked brand new. i will NEVER EVER recommend turtle wax ice to any one.
    Strange about you not being able to find Mothers clay... maybe they were out of stock, but virtually every auto parts store seems to stock it, at least the big ones... Advance, Autozone, or even your local auto parts store. At a relatives house in West Virginia, I was able to order it at NAPA through their distributor Keystone.

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    I just waxed my truck yesterday with Meguires NXT Gen Techwax 2.0. I used Mothers clay bar first (which I found at Advance auto BTW), then waxed it. I used my orbital buffer to apply and also used ti with a microfiber bonnet to remove. I then went over it with a micorfiber cloth by hand and I have noticed marks throughout the paint. If I apply a litted pressure with the cloth by hand it actually leaves a mark...This is the second time I have used this wax with the same result. The first time was last January and chalked it up to being to cold to wax, but that cannot be the case this time. The truck is black so it will show everything anyway, but it is not my first black vehicle. Am I doing something wrong or should I try a wax that is friendlier to black paint?

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

If you want a sealant Zaino or Mezerna Full Molecular Jacket are hard to beat. If you want to go the wax route... I STRONGLY suggest Dodo Juice products. I use to swear by Zaino, but the Dodo Juice Supernatural does wonders when the surface is prepped properly. The most depth and shine I have seen of any product. Not sure where else you can get it, but I get my Dodo juice products at detailedimage.com <--- not a sales pitch, just a very satisfied customer.
    2009 BMW 550i
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado
    2008 Mazda MX-5 PRHT
    2008 Subaru Tribeca
    2007 BMW 335i
    12 Other miatas for parts

Quote Originally Posted by canislupis69 View Post
    I just waxed my truck yesterday with Meguires NXT Gen Techwax 2.0. I used Mothers clay bar first (which I found at Advance auto BTW), then waxed it. I used my orbital buffer to apply and also used ti with a microfiber bonnet to remove. I then went over it with a micorfiber cloth by hand and I have noticed marks throughout the paint. If I apply a litted pressure with the cloth by hand it actually leaves a mark...This is the second time I have used this wax with the same result. The first time was last January and chalked it up to being to cold to wax, but that cannot be the case this time. The truck is black so it will show everything anyway, but it is not my first black vehicle. Am I doing something wrong or should I try a wax that is friendlier to black paint?
    canis man, i am not sure why it is happening that way. i did notice that after i removed wax, i had some very hard bumps all over my paint almost like grains of sand. i did figure out what it was though, you need to continuously have a clean cloth to remove or else you will get these gritty little things that i am guessing will cause scratches. it almost makes me want to tell you to stay away from this wax. i got in the habit of having a bunch of rags clean and ready for a new one. i have been known to use 24 rags for one use

I think I am going to try a different wax next time. How can I remove the wax so I can start over?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 Last Post byLast Post by