GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Wax?

Hybrid View

Default Wax?

Can anyone reccomend a good wax? I use to use Mother's years ago, got out of doing my own detailing due to lack of time. I want to get back into it, but want to know if there have been any new products that are good and easy to use...else I can go back to ole faithful!
    08 Colorado Z71
    95 GMC 2500 Ex Cab
    87 BMW 325is
    04 BMW 325xi (wifey)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyl9 View Post
    Can anyone reccomend a good wax? I use to use Mother's years ago, got out of doing my own detailing due to lack of time. I want to get back into it, but want to know if there have been any new products that are good and easy to use...else I can go back to ole faithful!

The Mother's clay bar system is very good and you will be pleased with the results. It's a little extra work using the clay bar but it gets the paint clean before applying the wax. This makes the job look better and last longer.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Blog Entries

Yeah just go back to old faithful mothers. Never used a wax that stood up to the mothers' performance.

2003 Silverado 1500
    V8 4.8L 294ci
    2 inch Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    3 inch Rough Country Lift
    33 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers
    5% Tint All Around
    2 12" Kenwoods

Jr. Engineer

I would hit it with some adams clay and detail spray. IF you are doing it by hand then hit it with Adams revive polish mixed with a little swirl and haze remover. Then i would hit it with the Adams americana paste wax. and if you dont want to spend that much but bet me its worth then i would hit it with the butter wax. The ticket is to get two to three lights coats. Then after that i would hit everything you crome windows and pain with adams brilliant spray glaze. And you dont have to do all these step if you dont want to. you can just put the wax on. But the result will be better. And Mothers wont stand a chance.

Has anyone tried "Ice" wax. They make a clay bar kit as well. They claim it leaves no white residue and since I have a black truck this is a big deal to me. It seems like no matter how careful I am removing the wax, the next day I always end up with white residue in the more hard to get places.

Bobby - North Carolina
    2008 4x4 5.3L V8
    6" Suspension Lift and 1.5" Body Lift
    20x9 Ballistic Jesters w/35" Toyo Open Country MT's & 1.5" rear wheel spacers
    4:56 Yukon Gears
    Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator
    Baja style bed mount spare tire carrier
    Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust
    Recon Smoked LED tails/3rd brake lights/black projectors w/switchback LED's in the corners
    N-Fab Nerf Steps
    K&N CAI
    No Fear Pedals
    Tint, Line-X bedliner, Window visors, Rear wheel well liners
    Painted front grill, bow ties and door badges, de-"lettered" tailgate
    Powder coated front and rear bumpers

Blog Entries

Never heard of that, might check it out though when I go to wax my truck next. The no residue thing sounds like a seller to me

Quote Originally Posted by canislupis69 View Post
    Has anyone tried "Ice" wax. They make a clay bar kit as well. They claim it leaves no white residue and since I have a black truck this is a big deal to me. It seems like no matter how careful I am removing the wax, the next day I always end up with white residue in the more hard to get places.
    Buy a detail brush, looks like a 2" wide normal paint brush that has bristles only 1/4" long.
    It is soft and wont scratch paint or wax, but will get into tight seams and remove all that white stuff.

I also wanted to say to try a pure carnuba wax, very hard wax, made from a plant from Brazil, so it is plant based as opposed to petroleum based.

Final tip, NEVER use dish soap to wash your truck, all petro based (oil based) waxes will just dissolve and wash off. I use Mothers car wash, it is non detergent, and all your work will last.
    nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by 97chevz71 View Post
    I would hit it with some adams clay and detail spray. IF you are doing it by hand then hit it with Adams revive polish mixed with a little swirl and haze remover. Then i would hit it with the Adams americana paste wax. and if you dont want to spend that much but bet me its worth then i would hit it with the butter wax. The ticket is to get two to three lights coats. Then after that i would hit everything you crome windows and pain with adams brilliant spray glaze. And you dont have to do all these step if you dont want to. you can just put the wax on. But the result will be better. And Mothers wont stand a chance.

I have always been tied between Adams and Smartwax, they are both amazing but the Adams VRT is the best rubber and plastic shinner ever! No matter what how much you use ,never greasy and doesn't fling on body sides AT ALL, so i will have to say im 65 percent adams and 35 percent smartwax!
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

i just waxed my truck with eagle one's nano wax (mainly because i got it extremely cheap and something new to try) and i was very impressed with it. the shine was just as good as before when i used turtle wax IMO. i washed down the truck first and then applied it with a microfiber cloth.

2007 Silverado Crew Cab
    5.3 L Vortec V8
    LT1 Package
    Driver Information Center (from gmpartsclub.com)
    Volant Cold Air Intake
    6000k HID DDMTuning Kit
    LED tailgate bar 3rd brake light
    LED lights for foot wells
    LED Side Bars
    LED Headlight Accents
    Husky Mud Guards

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post

The Mother's clay bar system is very good and you will be pleased with the results. It's a little extra work using the clay bar but it gets the paint clean before applying the wax. This makes the job look better and last longer.

I agree 100000000000%! because I just used McGuire's Claybar and wax on my truck today!

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L EC/Std Bed 4x4 Flexfuel
    Full Metal Jacket Spray on Bed Liner
    Black Powder coat Diamond Plate Weatherguard Tool Box
    Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust System
    K&N Flat Panel OEM replacement Air Filter
    Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tires P275/55/R20
    Black Reflective pinstripe and VORTEC hood lettering
    Billet front bowtie
    Rear Bowtie Delete
    Blue strobe grille lights
    Blue strobe rear window lights
    Blue LED Mini Light bar in front Grille