GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Head Gasket Replacement

Do I need to pull the block to replace a head gasket on a 1999 Suburban (350/ 5.7). Also, whats the price for a new head gasket and grinding the old head? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You don't need to pull the block, unless it's warped too. You might consider pulling the hood and fenders though. I think the job will go much easier, and you will at least break even on time.
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

no you dont need to pull the motor, a head gasket set with all the gaskets you will need will be about $150 and about $200 to have the head gone through and leak and crack checked and replace any bad valves

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z71_guy View Post
    no you dont need to pull the motor, a head gasket set with all the gaskets you will need will be about $150 and about $200 to have the head gone through and leak and crack checked and replace any bad valves
    you dont need to pull the block out, you might also want to check if anything is cracked like z71 said.

If you can remove the grill up front it will go easy, just use some towels on the fenders or hello scratches.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

Legend

Removing body panels arent needed unless you are shorter or just use a solid step stool, but a word of advise be careful with your back when leaning over when you actually pull the head off the block, they arent light, I strained my back once doing it. My local shop that does testing for cracks and warping charges $60 a head and 35 for planing if they are warped, also if you are gonna do one take the time and investment to do the other at the same time.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

do both heads.. vncj96 speaks the truth this is your truck not just a pay check from a cheap customer depending on the mileage a valve job is a nice touch.super high mileage motors have been rumored to break rings with freshened comp. but i've never seen it and a good straight edge with a feeler guage will check the block

99 tahoe 2 dr. 4x4 7.4 4L80-e NP246, SAS, dana 60 hp, sterling 10.5 rear, gibson headers, and alot of tricks of the trade !!!!!!IF YOU'RE NOT CHEATING YOUR NOT TRYING!!!!!!!!