GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 2ToNe04 View Post
    Just go to the junkyard and pick an alternator from a HD truck

2tone is right the HD alternators do have more amperage so that wouold be good too!

Quote Originally Posted by MeanGreenMachine View Post
    I had the same problem when I first installed my system. I upgraded the wiring to 4g for all the grounds and battery connections. The problem went away. I also upgraded to an HO alternator, but I had a problem with it and had to remove it. However, I still did not have the dimming lights, so I believe the wiring was the real fix.
    Mean Green i know what you are talking about everytime i used an aftermarket HO alternator in a car we have built there was nothing but issues thats why i usually try to recommend rewinding the factory alternator its soooooooo much better and you usually wont run into any problems!
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

Had same type issues when I built my car audio system.

Installed an Optima Yellowtop batt, 140amp Alt, and two 2-Farad Caps.

Also ran two seperate 2awg B+ wires from the Bat to the Caps, which fed the Amps.

This allows me to run my system with out frying the lights.

But I am only running two 1800watt Amps, Four 12" Subs, and Six 6x9 Tri-Ax speakers.

My 76 Impala is a big car, so it needed some big sound.

"Never to Old, never too LOUD..."
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnson03 View Post
    Had same type issues when I built my car audio system.

Installed an Optima Yellowtop batt, 140amp Alt, and two 2-Farad Caps.

Also ran two seperate 2awg B+ wires from the Bat to the Caps, which fed the Amps.

This allows me to run my system with out frying the lights.

But I am only running two 1800watt Amps, Four 12" Subs, and Six 6x9 Tri-Ax speakers.

My 76 Impala is a big car, so it needed some big sound.

"Never to Old, never too LOUD..."

I had a yellow top there real good

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

Ok so, I know I'm reviving a dead thread here, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Especially when I am the one who started this one in the first place.

Now, I've taken all of your suggestions and the only thing I haven't tried is getting the alternator rewound. I still haven't found a shop around my house willing to do that for some reason. Maybe I'm not asking correctly, I don't know. I also haven't replaced the alternator with a HD one, I'm really not that mechanically inclined, although I would love to be. I've replaced the wires with 4 and even tried 0 gauge wire at one point, still dimming. I was considering getting another battery for just my sound system, but I don't really have anywhere to put an extra battery, other than the bed, and I don't really want to mount a battery in my bed.

I have a family owned shop where I could go. It's where my dad takes his car to get it worked on and he always has. I was considering taking my alternator up there and asking if he could rewind it for me, but he has always been kind of a dick to me for whatever reason.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't know what is going on, maybe I'm just really lucky.

2004 Silverado
    4.8L
    K&N Air Filter
    Single in, Dual out Flowmaster look alike, Turned down at muffler
    dropped 2" front 4" back
    Custom painted bow ties (blue front and black back)
    20" Eagle Alloy Series 026 rims
    285/50-20 Good Year Eagle GT II tires
    Limo Tint all around
    Duraliner bed liner

Quote Originally Posted by Custom04Chevy View Post
    Ok so, I know I'm reviving a dead thread here, but I didn't want to start a new thread. Especially when I am the one who started this one in the first place.

Now, I've taken all of your suggestions and the only thing I haven't tried is getting the alternator rewound. I still haven't found a shop around my house willing to do that for some reason. Maybe I'm not asking correctly, I don't know. I also haven't replaced the alternator with a HD one, I'm really not that mechanically inclined, although I would love to be. I've replaced the wires with 4 and even tried 0 gauge wire at one point, still dimming. I was considering getting another battery for just my sound system, but I don't really have anywhere to put an extra battery, other than the bed, and I don't really want to mount a battery in my bed.

I have a family owned shop where I could go. It's where my dad takes his car to get it worked on and he always has. I was considering taking my alternator up there and asking if he could rewind it for me, but he has always been kind of a dick to me for whatever reason.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't know what is going on, maybe I'm just really lucky.
    Google " the big 3"......this is the first step you should take in upgrading your electrical system.

capacitors are a waste of money

A second battery such as a yellow top is a good place if the big 3 dont help.

Also a high output alternator.

Look in your engine compartment I know on the GMT 900 platform (Silverados at least) have quite a bit of room, and almost a perfect place for another battery (possibly for diesels with two batteries??) I would try buying a aftermarket alternator with higher amp output and then if that doesn't fix it run a dual battery setup. Replacing an alternator is quite easy, though a shop should do it for a nominal cost.

If you dont have adequate room, looks at getting an Optima or a gel type of battery that allows you to mount the battery on it's side etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    Google " the big 3"......this is the first step you should take in upgrading your electrical system.

capacitors are a waste of money

A second battery such as a yellow top is a good place if the big 3 dont help.

Also a high output alternator.
    That is an awesome thread. I'll definitely look into that as my next step.

Quote Originally Posted by randomsandwhich View Post
    Look in your engine compartment I know on the GMT 900 platform (Silverados at least) have quite a bit of room, and almost a perfect place for another battery (possibly for diesels with two batteries??) I would try buying a aftermarket alternator with higher amp output and then if that doesn't fix it run a dual battery setup. Replacing an alternator is quite easy, though a shop should do it for a nominal cost.

If you dont have adequate room, looks at getting an Optima or a gel type of battery that allows you to mount the battery on it's side etc.
    Does installing a new alternator require anything more than replacing the old one? I really don't know the first thing about reprogramming anything in a vehicle, but I have a friend who could help me install a new alternator if no programming is required afterward.

2004 Silverado
    4.8L
    K&N Air Filter
    Single in, Dual out Flowmaster look alike, Turned down at muffler
    dropped 2" front 4" back
    Custom painted bow ties (blue front and black back)
    20" Eagle Alloy Series 026 rims
    285/50-20 Good Year Eagle GT II tires
    Limo Tint all around
    Duraliner bed liner

Legend

Have you had the system checked for a draw anywhere. There is no reason for your headlights to dim on such a low amp running your subs. The factory system should not be having any problem with it. My factory electrical can run, my 2 KC Daylighters and the 3 amps in the truck without the headlights or KCs dimming at idle.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jacksonville, North Carolina, United States

I have similar set up to yours 2 JL 12w3v2 and a Jl 1000/1 watt amp also have a JL 300v3 4 channel running the components and no dimming at all I do have a red top and HD alternator. I would look into the alternator not hard to replace at all takes about 15mins.

======​SOLD=====
    2006 1500 4x4 extended cab short bed
    SAS 12" suspension lift
    38x15.50 Mickey Thompson ATZ
    20x10 Mickey Thompson Classic II
    FOA custom shocks
    Dana 44HD front axle
    14 Bolt SF w/ detroit locker
    yukon 5.13 gears
    Dynatech Long tube headers
    Dynatech y pipe w/ high flow cats
    Magnaflow muffler
    Tom woods custom dual cv rear driveshaft
    K&N AIRAID system
    Hypertech power programmer
    And much more...........

My headlights dim on occasion .. depending on how loud it is. If I use my power windows then they do dim while using those. Upgrading an alternator is simply unbolting and bolting it back in. Should be quite easy especially on trucks ... for a cheaper route look for a wrecked HD truck at a salvage yard and use that one.. or buy a high performance either or should work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast