GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Audio Upgrade

Default Audio Upgrade

OK guys, bear with the newbie...

Getting an 09 crew cab (2500HD-Dmax) with the low level sound system. (Not Bose) Looking to upgrade that. Don't need to blow out the windows (I'm over 50) but I do want to HEAR my geezer rock. So, a woofer or two, some upgraded speakers and an amp. I have a crossover filter I can use.

What is the most bang for the buck? And how to tie into the existing system? Is there a wiring harness in place to a woofer location? Tweeters? Does the head have an RCA output or am I going LOC? What's the best place to tie in? Pull the head?

What's there and what takes advantage of what's there the best?

I am 99% XM-radio so don't need any fancy CD players etc. Haven't taken delivery of the truck yet, so don't even know if it has an aux input, otherwise I'll use the ol RF as much as I hate it....

Thanks.

OK, after some more digging it appears there's an aux input (phew) and there are six speakers, so wires aplenty. Anyone done this recently?

i just did pioneer 2 ways to my truck, all you have to do is take door panel off, pop speaker out, cut the wiring harness, and wire the new speaker in

Did it make a difference?

2008 Suburban 1500 LT with all the goodies.
    2009 2500 Crew Cab DMax LT Stock under the hood.....Nerf bars, cap and liner, de-badged, Husky Liners, CB, JVC woofer, bull bar. Roof lights

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedsilverado View Post
    i just did pioneer 2 ways to my truck, all you have to do is take door panel off, pop speaker out, cut the wiring harness, and wire the new speaker in
    Your truck is different and you cant just pull off the door panel in the 09's they are a little more complex than our body style's. The best place to do the LOC is behind the radio where you can tag the speaker leads right there and run the rca's to the back, then you will need to tag the remote turn on lead from under your dash in the ignition harness (pink thin wire) because in 03 chevy stopped putting the accy wire in the radio loom. I think you best bang for the buck would be to buy a four channel amp, a pair of front speakers, and a single 10 inch sub. Then you wire the first to channels to the front doors and bridge the rear's for the sub, this will give you all around cleaner and better sound and you WILL be happy our shop has alot of people doing this type of set-up because its cheaper and gives a full sound environment in the car/truck or whatever the case may be.
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

OK, and what happens to the unamped rear speakers and the tweeters?

2008 Suburban 1500 LT with all the goodies.
    2009 2500 Crew Cab DMax LT Stock under the hood.....Nerf bars, cap and liner, de-badged, Husky Liners, CB, JVC woofer, bull bar. Roof lights

Quote Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
    Did it make a difference?
    yes it did
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser-Wave View Post
    Your truck is different and you cant just pull off the door panel in the 09's they are a little more complex than our body style's. The best place to do the LOC is behind the radio where you can tag the speaker leads right there and run the rca's to the back, then you will need to tag the remote turn on lead from under your dash in the ignition harness (pink thin wire) because in 03 chevy stopped putting the accy wire in the radio loom. I think you best bang for the buck would be to buy a four channel amp, a pair of front speakers, and a single 10 inch sub. Then you wire the first to channels to the front doors and bridge the rear's for the sub, this will give you all around cleaner and better sound and you WILL be happy our shop has alot of people doing this type of set-up because its cheaper and gives a full sound environment in the car/truck or whatever the case may be.
    yeah i know, once he gets the door panle off, it should be the same