GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Flight 93 Memorial in PA

Took a drive today to visit the Flight 93 memorial in Shanksville P.A. (about 80 miles west of our home along U.S.route 30) and I must say it was a very moving and poignant experience.We have visited ground zero in New York and the emotions and feelings were the same. I just can't imagine what those brave people went through on that horrific day, what they did is a testament to the true human spirit. May they rest in eternal peace and be forever remembered for their bravery and sacrifice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0830091431a.jpg   0830091433a.jpg   0830091438a.jpg   0830091459a.jpg   0830091443a.jpg  

Adam

The memorial as it is now is temporary, and a permanent one is scheduled to open in 2011. The new one will be at the crash site itself whilst the memorial now is several hundred yards away from the site, where only the victim's family members are permitted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0830091502a.jpg   0830091509a.jpg  

i visited ground zero while i was in new york on a school trip and i was overwhelmed at how i felt. i've never been moved so much by place like that.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

i have always wanted to visit the memorials and pay respects

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Very cool. I want to visit ground zero someday. I will always remember that day like it was yesterday.

On a side note, I think they should show some of the footage every so often, so this country doesn't forget why we are at war.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBlueSS View Post
    Very cool. I want to visit ground zero someday. I will always remember that day like it was yesterday.

On a side note, I think they should show some of the footage every so often, so this country doesn't forget why we are at war.

I think that would be very difficult for the families of those involved, but I know what you mean. We tend to forget very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    I think that would be very difficult for the families of those involved, but I know what you mean. We tend to forget very quickly.
    True. That was my point, though. I hear people complain about the war, and bad mouthing Bush for getting us into this. But, they tend to forget that these people attacked us. They didn't hit a military target like the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor. They hit civilian targets. Imo, this war should have been over on September 12, 2001. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. lol.

It's hard to imagine what would have happened if that plane were to continue onto it's target. The white house, the capital building, the supreme court? Once regular citizens on the plane figured out that this takeover wasn't going to be a random demand, but rather an airplane-missle, they acted and stopped the terrorist from hitting their objective. I am very thankful for their sacrifice.

Memorials are very important, especially as "we" forget over time, and our children need to learn from what happend, our sucesses and failures to act. Pearl Harbor was on my grandfather's mind through to the end of his life,but for me it was an event that occured over 30 years before my birth. I'm grateful when I see a "Pearl Harbor Survivor" license plate going down the road ... even those they were common 15 years ago, now they are rare.

I drove through the battlefield memorial at Vicksburg for a battle that happened in 1864? (see, even I forget) but it was so important to the people who fought, their children and even grandchildren ... they spent a lot of money to memorialize the event.

I hope to get up there after the memorial opens and pay my respects too.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Master Mechanic

i wouldnt mind going myself before i leave.im headed to iraq next year for a 12-13 month deployment then about 9 months after im back home ill be volunteering to go with a different unit headed to afghanistan
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul1964 View Post
    Took a drive today to visit the Flight 93 memorial in Shanksville P.A. (about 80 miles west of our home along U.S.route 30) and I must say it was a very moving and poignant experience.We have visited ground zero in New York and the emotions and feelings were the same. I just can't imagine what those brave people went through on that horrific day, what they did is a testament to the true human spirit. May they rest in eternal peace and be forever remembered for their bravery and sacrifice.
    Well said Adam, that day is etched in my memory, and the thought of what those people (heros) did for their country on that day makes me so proud to be an american.
    If you find yourself slipping,.....tie a knot.....hold on tight

Black
    2008 silverado
    1500 crew cab
    5.3 L 4x4
    Borla exhaust, rbp black tip
    tint, bed liner
    2.25 in ready lift leveling kit
    18x9 rbp 94r
    33x12.5x18 toyo mts

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by