GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Battery drain issue

Hello All,
    So has anyone had any luck in figuring out what is causing the battery drain issue son our trucks?
    I've googled the issue until my fingers have bleed and still have not found an answer. In the mean time I will continue to troubleshoot and take readings.
    2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ Extended cab 4x4 5.8 ft bed
    Exterior: Black
    Interior: Light Titanium/Dark Titanium Accents
    Features: Auto-Dimming Inside Rearview Mirror, Power Door Locks, Power Sunroof w/Express-Open, Power Windows w/Driver Express-Down, Power folding side view mirrors w/blinker arrow, Radio: AM/FM Stereo w/MP3 Compatible 6 Disc CD Player, XM Satellite Radio, On-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Coneklr View Post
    Hello All,
    So has anyone had any luck in figuring out what is causing the battery drain issue son our trucks?
    I've googled the issue until my fingers have bleed and still have not found an answer. In the mean time I will continue to troubleshoot and take readings.
    If you have a battery drain it's easy to find with a DVOM meter. First step is to verify the drain. You should have no more than 300 Miliamp draw with the system powered down. Remove the negative battery cable from the battery and attach a jumper from the negative battery post to the positive lead of the DVOM meter set to Amps. Next attach a jumper from the negative meter lead to the battery cable. <Note that most DVOM meters have a built in 10 Amp Fuse. If you have a big drain you will blow the meter fuse so be careful and if you suspect a large draw an Amp Clamp is a better choice because it won't blow the meter fuse.
    Now with the amp meter in place do not turn the key on. Remember the dome light will illuminate and draw amperage if you open the door. Another suspect is the glove box light. Very common battery draw that fools a lot of techs.<G>
    Next start removing fuses one at a time until you find the circuit with the parasitic draw. Once you isolate the circuit it's just a matter of checking the accessories on that circuit.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post

If you have a battery drain it's easy to find with a DVOM meter. First step is to verify the drain. You should have no more than 300 Miliamp draw with the system powered down. Remove the negative battery cable from the battery and attach a jumper from the negative battery post to the positive lead of the DVOM meter set to Amps. Next attach a jumper from the negative meter lead to the battery cable. <Note that most DVOM meters have a built in 10 Amp Fuse. If you have a big drain you will blow the meter fuse so be careful and if you suspect a large draw an Amp Clamp is a better choice because it won't blow the meter fuse.
    Now with the amp meter in place do not turn the key on. Remember the dome light will illuminate and draw amperage if you open the door. Another suspect is the glove box light. Very common battery draw that fools a lot of techs.<G>
    Next start removing fuses one at a time until you find the circuit with the parasitic draw. Once you isolate the circuit it's just a matter of checking the accessories on that circuit.
    Good info. THx

Do you have any type alarm system, tracking system, or anti theft system?

Did you pull the relays too? If not pull all the relays out. Like Tim said, suspect ANY and ALL aftermarket accessories, brake controllers, stereos, alarms, CBs, anything added that's not a factory accessory including a trailer plug.

Legend
    Blog Entries

One thing I found on my old truck that was draining the battery, was the On-Star even though it wasn't activated. I pulled that fuse and then it was all good, just a thought.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

with your truck running check charge voltage at battery with meter set to read AC voltage, if you read any, would indicate bad diode in alternator. This would cause a drain.

Or since you are seeing a drain, disconnect the alternator ......... and see if your draw goes away.

danv

i just got back from getting a drainage issue fixed at a dealership,as it turns out,it was the gauge cluster module that was causing the drain,it was a spendy fix,but at least i wont have buy batterys for for a hundred a clip anymore

I was having a battery drain issue on my 99 Tacoma for a while, it only gets used once a month if even that often, but every time I went out to use it the battery was dead, it was more annoying then a problem.
    One day I decided to fix the problem but after checking every wire out of the fuse box I still couldnt find the source. While I was under the hood my grandaughter kept asking me about something under the drivers seat and was basically being a pain so when I stopped work to chase her away she casually flipped the button to release the CD cartridge on my remote CD player under the front seat, grabbed the cartridge as it came out and said fine I'm taking this with me.
    Which was just about the time i realized the only thing not running through the fuse box was the CD player.
    After digging between the seats and center consol I found the remote and as I thought it was in the on position, if the radios on the CD player still works and for some reason unknown to me now 12 years ago I wired it through a battery hot instead of the fuse box.
    Turn the remote off and no more dead batteries, amazing how that works.

Ok, I have a question. I have a 2004 Silverado 2500HD and I've had the same type of slow battery drain. I just hooked up my meter and with nothing else on, I have a .54 amp drain going on. I'm going to start pulling fuses and see what I can find. On top of that, when I open the door to trigger the interior light, my pull jump to 2.6 amps! Everything I've seen says a normal pull for interior lights in around .98 Have I got some crazy interior lights or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by