GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: DIC MPG reading

Default DIC MPG reading

Hi,
    How accurate is the MPG reading on the DIC. The best I'm getting out my truck is 13.0 MPG. My wife has a 2500HD 4x4 crew cab with 8 ft bad. She is getting 13.2 MPG. Argh! She also tows a 5th wheel/goose with three horses almost every weekend about 25 miles.

Should I expect more than 13.0 MPG?
    2007 Silverado 1500 LTZ Extended cab 4x4 5.8 ft bed
    Exterior: Black
    Interior: Light Titanium/Dark Titanium Accents
    Features: Auto-Dimming Inside Rearview Mirror, Power Door Locks, Power Sunroof w/Express-Open, Power Windows w/Driver Express-Down, Power folding side view mirrors w/blinker arrow, Radio: AM/FM Stereo w/MP3 Compatible 6 Disc CD Player, XM Satellite Radio, On-Star

Over time, that figure will be pretty reliable. Remember there are factors such as what you do with the truck, how fast you drive (the faster, the worse the MPG), city driving/highway, start and stop, gun it off the line, etc. Towing a big horse trailer will kill your MPG on anything, sorry to tell you.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I've got pretty much the same truck and am getting about 18.5 miles per gallon. That's mostly empty on the highway. I can watch the guage go down in the city. The truck is new to me, about 3k miles total mileage is about 45K

Yeah, the range between city and highway is real ... that's why there are two MPG numbers on your sticker when you buy it. A Prius in heavy city driving will get 15 MPG just like anything else. Towing is another factor and it will kill your MPG.

Hmmm... can you get around 18mpg with the 6.0L like I have in my truck?

I hear ya about the horse trailer towing killing MPG. That's what erks me. My wife tows the horse trailer with her truck.
    I never tow with mine, just highway miles down HOV lanes commuting to work, hardly any stop and go at all. It's roughly a 60 mile round trip commute. I do have a heavy foot though. Maybe it's heavier than I thought. It's the racer in me. lol

On your DIC there is an instantaneous mileage section. Put it on the that and watch what happens when you hop on the gas. I've seen mine down around 3 mpg when I floor it. Taught me to slow down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Restlessone View Post
    On your DIC there is an instantaneous mileage section. Put it on the that and watch what happens when you hop on the gas. I've seen mine down around 3 mpg when I floor it. Taught me to slow down a little.
    I did try that. I think it sat at 0mpg most of the time....lol not really but it was hard to keep it at any decent mpg. I'm now trying cruise control enabled when ever possible except on very hilly terrain. Seems to be helping a bit.

you shouldn't be getting 13.0 on the highway. i get 16 around town in my 5.3
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Mine only gets 12 but its the older 6.0 and a heavier truck. Is it mean to laugh because his wife drives a bigger truck . Just kidding I know you said she tows the horse trailer and stuff.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Jr. Engineer

Default MPG in VA

In Virginia there are enough hills to take advantage of GRAVITY! Over the years I have noticed most people coast down a hill and end up powering up the other side. I take advantage of the gravity assit and power down the hills and coast up the other side. It takes less fuel to accelerate down a hill then to accelerate up a hill. Try it and see your MPG improve!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by