GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Sub problem - one sucks in the other pushes out?

Wassup guys...
    So I've recently isntalled a 2000watt American legacy amp in my 96 2 door tahoe (**** brand, I know... but it was in my budget), and I'm having some weird problems. I threw them in a regular sealed box I bought at a local audio place for $50, so nothing special. When ever the bass hits on the speaker, one 12" CVR kicker pushes out (like it normally should) and the other "sucks inwards". Theyre both in sync, just one pushes out and the other sucks in! I have no clue why this is, but I know it cant be good. I'm new to car audio in general and I know the bass can hit harder than it is.

Also, the rear panel of the amp has an HPF,LPF, bassboost, and gain knobs. each one is clockwise to turn. Which settings should these primarily be on?

I know the description of the amp was pretty vague, but if you need any more info on it I would be glad to look behind it, take a picture, or tell you. Like I said, pretty new to this all but I know I'm not getting the bass I should.

Thanks in advance

voltage is opposite on the one making it opporate in reverse

sounds to me like you got a bad box? are the 2 speakers sepperated in the box by a piece of wood? if so i would take on the subs out and run it and see if air leaks in the other side thats my guess ... i could be wrong that and how do you have them wired... im sure some one here has dealt with this problem
    06 silverado

How do I fix the voltage thing?
    The box doesn't have a piece of wood in the middle. As far as I know it could have been very well cheaply made, I mean I payed $50 for it lol but it looks decent. and I believe I wired it up in series because the parallel wire job would have dropped it to 2 ohms, and the amp I believe is rated for 4 ohm max
    Last edited by Fear58; 08-31-2009 at 09:06 PM.

switch pos and neg wires around, idk if it will help, but im thinking as a electric motor, so it might be worth a try

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
    sounds to me like you got a bad box? are the 2 speakers sepperated in the box by a piece of wood? if so i would take on the subs out and run it and see if air leaks in the other side thats my guess ... i could be wrong that and how do you have them wired... im sure some one here has dealt with this problem
    Reverse the polarity on one . Switch the wires around.

Legend

^^^x3 you got some wires mixed up!!
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

reverse polarity the one that is "sucking" in needs to have the pos and neg switched because it is outta phase....
    "Assumptions are the mother of all F***-ups.
    |BBK Throttle Body | TBS Spacer | Airaid Intake| SLP Headers | X=Pipe W/ Dual Exhaust Out Side| Goodmark Hood | HID's Heads & Fogs | Pioneer In-Dash| Zapco Reference 200.2| US Amps Merlin MD1D| US Amps XT1600.4| 3 Sets of Component Speakers| Custom Kick Panels| Ten 12 inch Subs| Back-up Cam| Lowered | 22inch Rims| Smoked Tailights| Custom Programming | Color Matched Plastics

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser-Wave View Post
    reverse polarity the one that is "sucking" in needs to have the pos and neg switched because it is outta phase....
    ditto... as an aside, I thought subs were supposed to fire "in" to the speaker basket, not out away from it. However to the original poster, one of your subs are definitely out of phase.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage