GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Shifting issue

Default Shifting issue

Howdy all,
    I have a 04 Chevy Tahoe w/4WD, lately when I'm driving, my truck seems to start loosing power/RPM's and it's a little jerky or atleast I feel it slightly jerking. Then one night I was backing into my driveway and it just stopped moving like I was in neutral. I took it to several shops and I keep getting that I need to change my fuel filter, then one said I need to change the fuel & trans filter and drain the trans pan. Anyone else have had a similar issue or got any advice I could use. Also I did take it to a Chevy dealer only to be told to pay $100 just to put it on the machine, but the repair shop on base have the same machine and they told me that putting it on the machine isn't necessary since there isn't any warning lights that are or were on.

Plz help,

Quote Originally Posted by sindawg10 View Post
    Howdy all,
    I have a 04 Chevy Tahoe w/4WD, lately when I'm driving, my truck seems to start loosing power/RPM's and it's a little jerky or atleast I feel it slightly jerking. Then one night I was backing into my driveway and it just stopped moving like I was in neutral. I took it to several shops and I keep getting that I need to change my fuel filter, then one said I need to change the fuel & trans filter and drain the trans pan. Anyone else have had a similar issue or got any advice I could use. Also I did take it to a Chevy dealer only to be told to pay $100 just to put it on the machine, but the repair shop on base have the same machine and they told me that putting it on the machine isn't necessary since there isn't any warning lights that are or were on.

Plz help,
    Are you saying it has NO reverse? If your truck has no reverse it will need a rebuild.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

It goes into reverse, just that night it wouldn't. Whatever it is, it's getting worse. As I was driving to work this morning, when I go to stop at a light or stop sign, it feels like something is pulling the truck to a stop, then when I proceed to drive it do that bogging before it goes into the next gear.

It goes into reverse, just that night it wouldn't. Whatever it is, it's getting worse. As I was driving to work this morning, when I go to stop at a light or stop sign, it feels like something is pulling the truck to a stop, then when I proceed to drive it do that bogging before it goes into the next gear.
    That doesn't sound good. I wouldn't drive it anymore until you get it checked out. Take it to a trans shop and have them check it out. Most will check it for free but be prepared for a major repair.

It's sittting at a trans shop right now, they couldn't pull anything on the computer. Test drove it with computer still attached and no codes what so ever.As expected it didn't do what it has been doing to me, then he took it back to his shop, put it in reverse and the drive and wouldn't you know, it started doing it to him. He say he hope it's just the transfer case/chain that's slipping cause it an easy fix, but if it's the differential, he can't touch it.

It's sittting at a trans shop right now, they couldn't pull anything on the computer. Test drove it with computer still attached and no codes what so ever.As expected it didn't do what it has been doing to me, then he took it back to his shop, put it in reverse and the drive and wouldn't you know, it started doing it to him. He say he hope it's just the transfer case/chain that's slipping cause it an easy fix, but if it's the differential, he can't touch it.
    If the snap ring in the transfer case breaks it can cause problems. Keep us posted.

Angry

just left the shop, they got the transfer case apart & drained the pan. He said he noticed right off that the chain was stretched and he believes that is the problem. gonna order a new chain and put it on and if that doesn't fix it, then he's not sure what else it could be and if that doesn't fix it, then I don't owe anything. I'm like, I'd rather pay for it to be fixed, than owe nothing and have the same problem or worse. I'm not going to know anything until Tuesday since Monday is a holiday and the shop is going to be closed for the Labor Day weekend. This suck not having a vehicle, I know I could go rent one, but still not sure on how much this is going to cost me overall.

Blog Entries

aslong as it gets fixed, its good.

who would have known it was the chain though.

keep us updated, i wanna know if this was the fix. i have a freinds truck that has some sort of symptoms like this.

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

still nothing, they put a new chain in the transfer case and it still not shifting right, now they are going to drop the tranny and see if something is wrong in there.

still nothing, they put a new chain in the transfer case and it still not shifting right, now they are going to drop the tranny and see if something is wrong in there.

Man I hate to say this but You and they are making a huge mistake and guess who is going to pay for it? YOU are.

The number one rule when diagnosing transmission problems is you NEVER remove the transmission until you know what's wrong with it.

The simple fact that they "thought" it was the transfer case throws up a red flag. It's probably too late now but whats going to happen is they will tell you it needs to be rebuilt. Then they will pad the job to cover the costs of the labor dorking around with your transfer case.