GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whistling noise

Default Whistling noise

I got a 1995 Chevy Suburban and between 45 and 65 mph im getting a whistling/howling noise and it kinda sounds like when you blow on top of a bottle. When im hearing the noise and switch to neutral the noise goes away so its only when im in drive. Its got new U-joints, tranny was redone, new throttle body gasket and i tried taking the front driveshaft out with no change in the sound. To me it kinda sounds like its in the middle of the truck but im running out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Are the windows up when you are testing? Burbs are known for a buffeting sound when the rear passenger windows are down.

As far as pinpointing a noise, I like to use vacuum tubing taped in different locations to form a crude stethoscope.

You could also try putting it up on a lift and running the vehicle to see if you can duplicate the sound and walk around/under it to isolate the location of the noise.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Yes windows are up when im testing. I have full access to a rack but havent tried to duplicate the noise while on it. Might have to try it.

Had truck on rack spinning the tires 45 to 65 mph and i couldnt make the truck make the noise. So it needs the load of the truck to make the noise. What you guys think.

Sounds more like it might be a wind driven noise. Where is rent a wind tunnel when you need one?
    Try and isolate it above or below the burb and work from there. Look for anything loose like the roof rack or the cowling below the windshield etc.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Its not wind noise because if i put it in neutral while its making the noise and coast the noise goes away.

So if you just coast down with the transmission still in drive it still makes the whistling noise? If so, the motor could probably be safely taken out of the suspicion list. It could possibly be the rear differential. If it is the differential, it would be that the gears are whining and could possibly be going out soon...not good. For that matter, transmission issues aren't good either.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Same problem with mine and I am working to find out what it is. I think that it is front differential bearings possibly, but have not confirmed.

Ended up rebuilding the whole rear axle assembly. That part of the truck is good now.

I had a similar problem it ended up being my transfer case, i could hear it while it was on the lift tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast