GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default How to tell if it's a 4L80e

I know my burb has it. but this question is for my sister. She knows nothing about cars, but she needs a truck and is looking at a lot of older Chevys. I've been told that the 4L60 had a lot of problems and should be avoided, especially since she'll be doing a lot of towing. She's looking at a 95 Sierra 5.7 right now- I told her to check for those numbers on the door sticker, and then to crawl under the engine area and look up to see if there's a big silver pan with "4L80" on it. She says she sees nothing like that. Now she's really unfamiliar with cars, so she may just not really understand what she's looking at (been there). Did they ever stop stamping it on the pans? Is it anywhere else on the truck? I can't tell her to just look at the casing or wiring, she wouldn't know the difference.

And, side question, is the 4L60 really all that bad? I've heard that from several mechanics, including one that worked at a couple different Chevy dealers, but I don't know much they really know- they're just acquiantances.
    - Rachael

98 GMC Suburban SLT K1500, 191K

I don't think they stamp anymore but the bolts on the pan are different and I think that is how you tell. I think the 4l80e would be better for towing, but don't know if the 4l60e is a bad tranny or not. I will see if i can find the different patterns on the pan
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

This shows the difference in the pan shapes about halfway down
    http://www.maliburacing.com/auto_tranny_id.htm

Quote Originally Posted by zuper8 View Post
    I know my burb has it. but this question is for my sister. She knows nothing about cars, but she needs a truck and is looking at a lot of older Chevys. I've been told that the 4L60 had a lot of problems and should be avoided, especially since she'll be doing a lot of towing. She's looking at a 95 Sierra 5.7 right now- I told her to check for those numbers on the door sticker, and then to crawl under the engine area and look up to see if there's a big silver pan with "4L80" on it. She says she sees nothing like that. Now she's really unfamiliar with cars, so she may just not really understand what she's looking at (been there). Did they ever stop stamping it on the pans? Is it anywhere else on the truck? I can't tell her to just look at the casing or wiring, she wouldn't know the difference.

And, side question, is the 4L60 really all that bad? I've heard that from several mechanics, including one that worked at a couple different Chevy dealers, but I don't know much they really know- they're just acquiantances.
    Most 1500 trucks came with the 4L60. The 2500s came with the 4L80. You can tell the difference by counting the pan bolts. The 60 has 16 pan bolts and the 80 has 17.

The 4L60E transmission is not a bad transmission and will last as long as it's serviced regularly. Make sure you buy a a truck with the tow package as it has an auxiliary cooler and a bigger radiator. If you are going to do a lot of towing a 2500 would be a good choice because it not only has a stronger trans but bigger brakes as well.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

X2 on the 4L60e Not a Bad Transmission.I've Towed a Boat for 10 years w/the 4L60e and Not 1 Problem.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Blog Entries

60s are pretty good. since most trucks have them. Theyre weak for racing :(

2004 4.8| Custom Paint| Tint| De-badged| Shaved Tailgate| Rollpan| Smoked Tails| Color Matched| Lowered 5/8| Suede Interior| Color Matched Interior| Indash & TVs| Mids-Lows & 2 12" CVRs| 500 & 1100 Interfires| Soundeadener| Outlaw CAI| Magnaflow|
    Future Mods: 6.0 LQ4/9| Bags|

the 60 is a good tranny just have to treat her right

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)