GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Questions on Brake Controller for Trailer

I have a 2009 Silverado that I use mainly to tow my featherlite car trailer with. Truck has the all american package that included the towing package. Probably do not NEED a brake controller, but would like the added safety of one (trailer is already wired for it). What is everyone using and why are you using it? Any adapter harnesses needed from the dealer to incorporate the brake controller into the 09 Silverado system? Any issues I will run into when installing?
    2009 BMW 550i
    2009 Chevrolet Silverado
    2008 Mazda MX-5 PRHT
    2008 Subaru Tribeca
    2007 BMW 335i
    12 Other miatas for parts

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in the Florida Panhandle, so far out that we are in the Central Time Zone

Default Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

You will need a trailer brake controller installed in your truck if you want to be safe while towing. Your new truck should have come with a trailer brake controller pig tail that is wired to the controller unit, and then plugged in up under the dash of the truck.

I would highly recommend one of the Teknonsha brake controllers. I have both a Prodigy and a P3. I like the P3 better.
    Brian McCabe
    Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
    '05 Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
    '11 Silverado 3500

Quote Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
    You will need a trailer brake controller installed in your truck if you want to be safe while towing. Your new truck should have come with a trailer brake controller pig tail that is wired to the controller unit, and then plugged in up under the dash of the truck.

I would highly recommend one of the Teknonsha brake controllers. I have both a Prodigy and a P3. I like the P3 better.
    I have a Prodigy I purchased from Tweedy's for $99.88. I had to buy a harness which was $12.00 but some trucks come with the harness like Moosetags said.. It's plug and play and it works flawlessly braking my 2 horse trailer.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

My friends that tow have all pretty much told me the Tekonsha Prodigy is the way to go.

How do you like the featherlight? It is worth the price? I'm really considering aluminum trailer to cut down on the weight. About an 18ft should work to tow my Z06.
    2006 Chevy Silverado, 5.3L, Z71, Extended Cab. Tow Mule.
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06, 5.7L, Slightly Modded. Tow Payload.
    2005 Craftsman Riding Mower, 17hp, light mods.

Santa Rosa Beach, Florida, in the Florida Panhandle, so far out that we are in the Central Time Zone

The Prodigy is very good; the P3 is even better. I currently have one of each in my two Subs. The P3 has the added benefit of being able to control the new hydraulic disc brakes on trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by vms4evr View Post
    My friends that tow have all pretty much told me the Tekonsha Prodigy is the way to go.

How do you like the featherlight? It is worth the price? I'm really considering aluminum trailer to cut down on the weight. About an 18ft should work to tow my Z06.

The featherlite is great. I purchased the 3110, 17.5 foot deck. Pulls great, easy to manuver, very solid trailer. I think it weighs in at 1400 lbs. After towing with it, yes, it is worth the price.
    Jymco trailers in Smithfield was closing out their 08's, so I got a decent deal. I think they have one 3110 left at 5400, cheapest I found in the state by almost 300.00.
    Last edited by FSTASNTZ; 09-05-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Go with the P3
    When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses not zebras.

Quote Originally Posted by FSTASNTZ View Post
    The featherlite is great. I purchased the 3110, 17.5 foot deck. Pulls great, easy to manuver, very solid trailer. I think it weighs in at 1400 lbs. After towing with it, yes, it is worth the price.
    Jymco trailers in Smithfield was closing out their 08's, so I got a decent deal. I think they have one 3110 left at 5400, cheapest I found in the state by almost 300.00.
    That is a good price for a 17 footer. Thanks for the info.