GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default where to go through?

I'm installing a 5 channel amp in my Suburban. I have the deck all hooked up with 3 sets of preamps run and an Ipod adapter run into the glove compartment.

My question is where is the best place on my 96 to go through the firewall. In most cars I've owned there was always an easy spot to go through. I'm putting the amp under the passenger front seat.

Thank you,
    John

If there isnt a hole on the passenger side and you don't want to add one route it behind the dash at the firewall and go out the grommeted hole on the driver side. The battery is on the driver side anyway correct? I am also assuming you are talking about the power wire for the amp. That is typically where I have run them, works well since it is typically a fairly large hole for the wire to run through.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I'll probably go through there. My battery is on the passenger side. I'll have to see if I have enough length. If not, then maybe I'll go under the body and pop up under the seat.

Legend

I can get you some pics of how my wire goes through the firewall if you like.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Then there should be a hole on the passenger side for other wires to get outside if not that would be quite a bit extra wire. Sometimes its easier to look from the engine bay to the firewall to see where they route the wiring. If you can stay along that it is usually the cleanest and easiest method.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Thank you for the help. I ended up putting the power wire under the carpet down the middle (its actually on top of the carpet for the moment). Then It goes out the firewall with a grommet out near the steering shaft. The cable was long enough and I figure this is best because then it won't go along the door with the audio cables.

Legend

That was exaclty how I ran mine, except I ran the cable underneath the carpet along the door sills on the drivers, but my amps are in the very rear of the truck
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16